Spike Camp

257 terminal performance whoas

eford

• View Profile
Re: 257 terminal performance whoas
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 10:56:57 PM »
I missed a large buck with my 257 Roy when I thought I was taking a relaxed shot. The next two shots also missed. That put an end to the relaxed part. I think I was shooting over him because I didn't hear the bullets thumping into the ground as I have with another buck I missed.
The factors Dub mentioned, plus a bit of jitters can add up to a shot sailing high. I like the part about circling buzzards.
This spring I'm testing Swift 100gn Scirocco II bullets in ym 257 Roy to determine if I can have more consistent +300 yard shots than with the TSXs. I know the Swift's have a higher BC and that might have some influence.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
Please let us know how it goes eford.

Maybe itís my stubborn pride getting in the way but thinking Iím pretty damn nervous about using a rifle to kill a deer. Iíve probably killed 140ish Whitetails in my years....Iíve got more undead than smoked with a rifle. 

The terminal performance of a rifle in the lungs of whitetail at long range is nothing like that of a shotgun slug, 300gr ml bullet or 1 3/4Ē broadheads, right? I say this because in all the reading Iíve done on here the word ďshoulderĒ is often mentioned as THE place for projectiles to land

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
I aim heart lung. withthe 100grsp hornady i had the first deer the bullet explode on a rib.The buck was sniffing a trail to this blind and was at 45 yards. If not for the rut that never happens. the feeder is at 135 yards and all drop right there. next deer was at 110 yards with a 115 partition. That deer did a spinning back flip with a pass though, both lungs and heart. Look at the partitions also.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 11:45:00 PM »
I always try to break the front shoulder of any animal be it big or small as you will still take out heart and lungs plus ruin the locomotion of the animal.

I do the same thing. With a blown out shoulder, there is a lot of damage to at least the lung on the same side and likely a lot more. Hit 'em there and the deer won't go far, but they will go down. I have seen many deer fall to ordinary soft nosed, tipped lead core, bonded, and match bullets. No single make or type of bullets has dropped deer faster than others if you put the shot in the right place.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 08:07:43 AM »
I've killed numerous deer now with my 257 with two different bullets. The first was a hot loaded 100 grain Gameking just north of 3600 fps. I've never had the bullet penetrate completely through on lung shots. Internal damage always was spectactular but if the deer ran I would have little to no blood. Raking shots on quartering deer with this bullet seemed to always enter for an inch then explode. These shots ranged from 60 yards to 350 or so. I figure I killed 16 or so deer the last few years with this load. I learned to do one simple thing to ALWAYS plant any deer with that load---high shoulder shot. I had several deer found within 150 yards shot good but no blood due to no exit hole. I started shooting high shoulder and pinned every one since. So so make a long story short, I loved this load but started aiming differently to drop them.

Now two years ago my wife started hunting with this gun and knowing she may not be able to always place a high shoulder, and that would lead me to tracking deer with minimal blood potentially I loaded some 110 accubonds at 3450 fps. Half MOA. Blood trails are back, rib shot deer go no further usually than 50 yards with good blood. High shoulder shot still pins them in their tracks. Exit holes 1.5 to 3 inches even quartering slightly or encountering both shoulder blades.

Hope this helps. 110 Accubond in my gun is the perfect load for me.