Spike Camp

240 magnum

240 magnum
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
what are your thoughts on this round for deer and con you give me your deer loads?what would you concsider the farest you would use it on a deer?
gary b

Re: 240 magnum
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
The .240 Weatherby Magnum is a good deer round especially for a kid or someone who has issues dealing with recoil.  The only drawback is that the heaviest weight bullet you can get is 100 grains so it's more prone to the affects of the wind at longer distances and isn't well suited to areas of thick brush.  That being said it will certainly do the job without any problems as long as the shooter places his or her shot well.  As for the furthest I'd use it on a deer is subjective to the conditions I'm hunting in.  If there's heavy brush such as a brier or a blueberry patch or lots of limbs to deal with it's obviously going to be a shorter shot.  However if you're hunting in an open field I would say around the 300 yard mark for the average hunter however if the shooter is proficient at shooting at longer distances and knows his or her rifle well I'd push that to 400 or maybe 500 yards max.  I don't have a load developed yet but am going to be loading either the 100 grain Nosler Partitions or Accubonds depending on how they shoot of my rifle.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »
Perfect for deer. The 90 grain Accubond with has worked well for us.

This may be a controversial opinion, but I've always thought of specific range limitations as nonsense. A person who says "my limit on big game is 300 yards" can't tell me they wouldn't take a shot at 301 yards on the deer of a lifetime if the conditions were right. So, how much farther then?With that in mind, sure, the 240 is probably light at extreme range. We can define extreme range based on our own confidence and ability. The range limit is the point you aren't confident. Yes, some people are over confident and that leads to trouble. Ok, I'm not being very helpful.

The farthest shot on a deer taken with one of my 240s was by my son; 423 yards. Two steps and flop. I would shoot at that distance and farther with either of my 240s without hesitation under good conditions.

If you buy a 240, enjoy. It's a terrific cartridge.

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:39:09 AM »
Chris338378, I saw your post after I typed mine. Great minds think alike.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 08:11:02 AM »
I have two 240's and about the only time I get to shoot them, is when I'm trying to find a new load for them. My girlfriend and niece have claimed mine, and wont give them back now  :o  It's a great deer, pronghorn, mountain goat caliber. Both my girlfriend and niece use theirs on moose and elk also, but they both are very accurate with the rifles, and they will only shoot at elk and moose, under 300 yards or so, and will wait for a clean heart/lung shot. The last few years, I been loading the 95 gr ballistic tips in both 240's ( I use the same load in both rifles) and they been working alright. I haven't quite got a load worked out with the 90 gr accubonds yet, that both rifles like. Over the years, I have also used hornady, speer, sierra, and nosler partitions, and they all worked well on deer.  8)

Rob

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Since I use a 243 shooting an 87 grain Sierra BTHP for Eastern Ontario Whitetails, and the 240 is quite a step up, I would consider it more than enough for deer.

My 243 (and my hunting partner who also shoots the same caliber) have also taken a number of (incidental) black bears with the caliber.

Deer are not difficult to kill contrary to what the glossy magazines claim. And at 500 yards a 240 pushing a 100 grain Partition still has the (energy) to ethically put down a deer if you can make the shot.

When I moved from hunting deer (and everything else for that matter) with a 30.06 I did consider the 240. But in the end it was more than I needed - the 243 is enough and I went that route.

But if you want a Weatherby Caliber for Bambi, this one is tough to beat.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
I shoot one all the time and have killed pigs up to 350 pounds with the 85 grain TSX factory load that were bang flops at 165/170 yards.That's all I shoot now.I have never been a fan of the 100 grain bullets out of the 240.I've stayed with 80 and 85 grain pills.Normally shooting 200 pound whitetails,or less,on the hoof or less,200 yards or less.I would step up to the 257 mag if I were trophy hunting and thought I was going to have to shoot past 200 yards.

FYI I do shoulder shoot with the 85 TSX.If angled I want to either shoot thru the shoulkder or wind up in the off shoulder or thru.On thick,heavy bucks I usually can find my bullet.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
thank you for your replys.i am looking at the vanguard rifles for the 240 magnum.i can not come up with the mony for a mark v.
gary b

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with the Vanguard Gary.Get one and enjoy.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:22:05 PM »
Chris338378, I saw your post after I typed mine. Great minds think alike.  ;D

That's for sure.   ;D
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »
I love my Mark V ULW 240 way mag, its very accurate and one of the nicest rifles Ive ever shouldered, loves the factory 85gr TSX, consistent 1/2 groups if I do my part.

My first 240 why mag was an S2 Vanguard and that still to this day is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, with factory 85gr TSX would consistently shoot one ragged hole groups........not a bad deal considering I paid $529.00 CDN delivered to my door !

An excellent Deer,Antelope or Sheep hunting Cartridge

The Weatherby 6.5 RPM...............what the 264 Win Mag wishes it was !

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 05:42:12 AM »
my brother has a 25-06 for deer.i had one but to get meat from deer I lost a bit over my 300 weatherby  in comparing them.i assume the 240 will not do that.looking to purchase a gun in the summer with my wifes dog money.she rases goidendoodles and labondoodles.
gary b

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
I like how you think, on buying a new gun using the wife's  money. hahahaha  8)

Rob

Bulldancer

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 05:09:35 AM »
Deer drop like a ton of bricks with good shot placement. I know of a guy who has filled 6 elk tags with the 240 all 120-260 yard shots with a Nosler partition. Everyone gets hung up on caliber, bullet weight etc. when in reality with the right shot placement at the right distance with a quality bullet and the correct amount of energy is far more important than caliber.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
easily to 500-600 yards.

I've made the argument it's a better round than the .257wby.

If you're looking to kill past 500yds I'd choose a higher BC type bullet 100gr etc...

up to that I'd probably want the 80/85gr TSX style.

I wouldn't hesitate to use my .243win with 85gr TSX on antelope to 500yds.

240wby is a cool round, just not that popular overall.

would be an awesome round for a youngster as well, adults too!