Spike Camp

Need help with barrel contour

Need help with barrel contour
« on: January 01, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
Does anyone actually know what barrel contour number weatherby used for the 6-lug mark V ultralight in 338-06?

It's not the same as on most non-magnum ultralights - it's bigger than my old 280 was. So I assume it's what bell and Carlson call the #2?

I emailed weatherby but the girl who contacted me didn't seem very sure of herself. First she said #1, then started to doubt it when I said the 338-06 had a larger barrel contour than the others.

I'm in Canada so if I jump through the hoops of importing a stock, I want to be sure I get the right one.

Any help is appreciated. 

• View Profile
Re: Need help with barrel contour
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
Just a idea if Weatherby doesn't get back with you
Go to one of the custom barrel makers sites and see what their measurements are on a #1 and #2 contour barrels, and than measure yours
Even if the measurements are not a match it should tell you which one it is
Mike

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
According to the Weatherby web site, the 240 Wby, and all the non-magnum calibers have a #1 contour barrel.  I'd would call them back, and ask to speak to their gunsmith shop, and I'm sure with the serial number they'll be able to tell you what size barrel you have.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:41:51 PM »
According to the Weatherby web site, the 240 Wby, and all the non-magnum calibers have a #1 contour barrel.  I'd would call them back, and ask to speak to their gunsmith shop, and I'm sure with the serial number they'll be able to tell you what size barrel you have.

See that's a common misconception. When I had my original 338-06 and 280 side by side the 338-06 had a noticeably heavier barrel profile.

I hadnt thought of asking to speak to the custom shop.... perhaps they have the answers I seek. Thanks

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »
Was your previous 338-06 an ULW?
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Was your previous 338-06 an ULW?

Yes, all three rifles were ultralights. Even the original advertisements stated the standard 6-lug ultralights were 5 3/4lbs, the 338-06 was just over 6lbs, and the magnums (9-lugs) were 6 3/4lbs.

I assume it's a #2, but I'm worried it was some non-standard contour just for the one chambering. Either way I will get it figured out and post my findings one way or another.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
Weatherby’s reply:

Thank you for contacting Weatherby.  Your barrel is the ultralight barrel from Weatherby.  So it is a #1 Modified.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
Dos not sound right, that skinny #1 modified would look like a shotgun tube if it was bored to .338.
John

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
most of the 06 based models used a #1 fluted.

I'm not certain on the 338-06,

the magnum models had a #2 fluted I believe

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
Take a measurement of the diameter at the muzzle and at the shank before the chamber area necks down. Might help identify the contour.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie