Spike Camp

Looking for a value on a Mark V

Re: Looking for a value on a Mark V
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
I just want to take a second to thank everyone for their input on the Mark V value question.  The response has been very helpful. 
I got input from many.  Two of the closest  together estimates and description were from 224King and Scottie at Skeeter's. 
224 King:  Early German made Crown Custom.  5K on the low end if wood has scratches and blue has wear.6250.00 if in collector condition.Since it's been hunted I doubt it's still in the later.At 4500 it should sell real quick. 
Blue wear and the caliber will hurt the value.Now that I have looked at all your pics.I'm thinking mid to high 5k range.It's a 24 inch barrel too right? 
My .02 is to start it at 4500 on gunbroker.7 day auction or 10 if you want and I'd bet it goes for north of 6K

From Scotty at Skeeters...  Miss Rose has a very nice Weatherby custom. It is an early German MKV. In the German era there were no Crown Customs , only customs. In the Japan era the word Crown came to be.

With that said it is short of a full Custom because it has a checkered stock instead of a carved stock. It has a beautiful tigertail maple stock, which is very desirable. However since it is short the carving & she has been hunted my guess is $4500-$5500 on the retail market

I wrote Weatherby and asked for information on the rifle and here is what they told me:   That firearm is a very old early 1960's. It was made by JP Sauer in Germany and featured high gloss finish.

Thanks for all the expertise on this site.  You guys provide a great service for those of us who need the help.
Hats off.
Pete
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
I just updated the listing with a link to some additional pictures.  Below is the write up I did with the link.  Thoughts please!

I was asked by a couple of people for some additional pictures of any possible problem areas. I have not cleaned this rifle since it was placed in my possession last week. It has been stored for years. I did put a lite coat of Rem Oil on it for protection but nothing else. I want to be upfront on this so there is no problems in the purchase. If I was purchasing a $4 - $5K rifle I would expect the same. I was asked about the optics. I did notice some clouding on the objective lens but the Ocular looks clear. I can see through it and focus on a target so draw your own conclusions on that. I know if I was purchasing this rifle, I would already have my new optics picked out. (My opinion only). Below is the link to the new pictures. Please copy and past the link into your browser address bar to see them. I hope my openness on this will help confidence in the auction of this weapon. It has a little wear on it as any 50+ year old firearm that has been used would. Also included in the pictures is a colorized photo of the original owner of the Weatherby with his prize bear in Alaska.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JliXSb4uo7oWN6EbJuGQkPbtg8PJtq54

Attaching a picture of the original owner that I mentioned above.  Man, its good to be back home in Georgia.  Have a great day y'all
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
14 hours left on the auction.  Hoping it gets some activity.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
Eagle, where in GA did you move back to?  I just retired in Dec from the USAF, and are currently working at Robins AFB, in Warner Robins.