Spike Camp

Looking for a value on a Mark V

eagle43056

Looking for a value on a Mark V
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:31:52 AM »
I need help.  My buddy passed away on Christmas morning and I've been trying to help his wife liquidate as much as she can to help with bills.  He has a Weatherby Mark V rifle that is beautiful.  The story goes that it was custom made for his uncle.  I've seen pictures of him with it on safari so the rifle has been used some but I don't know how much.  It has a Weatherby scope attached as well. 
Can I get some help getting an estimate of how much this thing might be worth?  It is chambered is 300 mag .
Thanks for any help.  Posting some pictures...

UPDATE:  New pictures:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Te1BDCxIgfSIG6UVtt8CMH6zHkbqdNk0

New UPDATE:  What I've learned so far. 
From Weatherby sales...  That firearm is a very old early 1960's. It was made by JP Sauer in Germany and featured high gloss finish.

From Scotty at Skeeters...  Miss Rose has a very nice Weatherby custom. It is an early German MKV. In the German era there were no Crown Customs , only customs. In the Japan era the word Crown came to be.

With that said it is short of a full Custom because it has a checkered stock instead of a carved stock. It has a beautiful tigertail maple stock, which is very desirable. However since it is short the carving & she has been hunted my guess is $4500-$5500 on the retail market

As soon as Gun Broker upgrades me, I'll be listing her for sale.  Thanks everyone for the input and thoughts.
Pete

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:59:16 AM by eagle43056 »

ctw

Re: Looking for a value on a Mark V
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 07:52:45 AM »
   That's a beautiful rifle with all that engraving.  I can't help you on the value of that fine looking piece. Someone should have an idea what it's worth.  Maybe 224 will chime in hear, he knows weatherbys quite well. And welcome aboard. ctw

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
That's a Crown Custom Mark V and even though I can't give a super accurate price I would say a safe bet would be north of $4,000 based on the two pictures you posted.  Sorry I couldn't be more accurate in the price.  Also adding more pictures would help in getting a more accurate price.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
Early German made Crown Custom.5K on the low end if wood has scratches and blue has wear.6250.00 if in collector condition.Since it's been hunted I doubt it's still in the later.At 4500 it should sell real quick
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

eagle43056

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:04:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'll be back where the rifle is the middle of next week and will get more and better pictures.  This helped a lot.  I went to a local gun shop yesterday and they said you can't sell a 300 mag around here and said maybe worth $1300.  I know better.
Thanks again.  Will post better pictures the 12th or 13th. 
Is Gun broker a good place to sell it or what are better options?

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
Beautiful gun!!

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »
Where are my Manners,,,
Sorry for your loss of a friend, and that is a very nice thing you are doing helping out with things!!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:29:42 AM »
Welcome to the Nation, and sorry for the loss of your friend.  Yes, Gunbroker is not a bad place to sell your gun.  Get some good quality pictures to show the beauty of the rifle, and describe it as best as possible.  Set a price (the lowest you would consider taking), and let the bidding begging. You will need to ship it to an FFL, and not knowing where you are, you may need an FFL to ship it out.  Make sure you request funds in form of USPO Money Order or something along those lines.  DO NOT ship the rifle until funds have cleared.  My apologies if you already knew all this.  Good luck!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 11:01:29 AM »
Sorry about your friend.Beautiful gun.That is pretty bad that the gun shop said maybe $1300.Definetly a place to stay away from.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 05:51:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I'll be back where the rifle is the middle of next week and will get more and better pictures.  This helped a lot.  I went to a local gun shop yesterday and they said you can't sell a 300 mag around here and said maybe worth $1300.  I know better.
Thanks again.  Will post better pictures the 12th or 13th. 
Is Gun broker a good place to sell it or what are better options?

The guy from that gun shop was flat out trying to screw you and had a good idea what it's really worth.  Gunbroker isn't a bad place to see guns just keep in mind you're going to have to pay them a fee based on what it sells for.  That's probably your best option to sell it because you're protected to some degree.  I would highly recommend using Paypal to  receive payment or stipulate a postal money order or certified check and wouldn't ship until the payment has been received and cleared.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

eagle43056

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »
Thanks again for the thoughts and advise.  I'm a PayPal person on sales.  I do vinyl decals and Paracord and unless get cash in hand use PayPal.  I'll have to check out Gun Broker's fees and go from there.  He also has an OLD double barrel shotgun.  I've got a couple of pictures of it but don't remember much about it.  I'm not even sure if it is still a functioning weapon.  I'ts a Parker Brothers and looking at the barrel I'm thinking  quite old...  Here are some pictures.
Update
I just found a site and the year on this shotgun is 1893.  Working on a value on it now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:50:26 PM by eagle43056 »

rgam4272

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 04:09:28 PM »
eagle43056,

I am sorry for your loss.  You might want to try Skeeters Weatherby in Oldham, SD.  His phone number is (605)482-8510
or email   skeet@alliancecom.net    He seems to be very knowledgeable and might give you a pretty accurate ballpark for
the Crown Custom.  Hope this helps. 
Rg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:12:14 PM by rgam4272 »

eagle43056

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »

Thank you for the information.  When I get more pictures, I'll contact him.

eagle43056

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:28:17 AM »
I'm back in town where this rifle is and I took some additional pictures.  If anyone would like to see the original pictures, let me know and I'll get them to you.  These are a little smaller since when I tried to upload last night, it wouldn't let me due to number of the files so I condensed them into 3 picture groupings.  There is a little bluing rub near the muzzle of the rifle.  I have not cleaned it or anything, just took it out and took the pictures.  Wanted to show it in the condition it is in right now.  I'll be cleaning it up before posting for sale.
Appreciate any additional input.

Here is a link to the pictures on a cloud drive.  files too big to upload.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Te1BDCxIgfSIG6UVtt8CMH6zHkbqdNk0

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
The old girl still carries herself well. She's a beaut.
DosEquisShooter