Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Sporter

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Sporter
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »
Quality and performance in an affordable wood stock design. The Sporter evokes an element of pride, both in the rack and in the field.

Marine24

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Sporter
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »
Looking for options and experiences for replacing the Sporter/Eurosport stock with a composite.  Plan on purchasing from Weatherby, but not sure if it is a drop in or requires some adjustment.

Thanks.

phil

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
Hey Marine,

From what I understand the sporter's barrel and action are the same as some of the composite gun's. In other words, it should be drop in and tighten the screws. I've heard that some fitting might be required on wood stocks, but I've not heard anything about fitting on the composites. Weatherby did tell me that I needed to keep the screws at 55 inch-pounds on my Accumark - had to go out and buy an inch-pound torque wrench...

Marine24

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
Phil,

Thanks for the rudder.  I'll take a run at it.  Appreciate the assist.

Mike

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:11:35 AM »
The thing to do is to contact Bell & Carlson, and they can tell you the model number of the stock you'll need.  Then you can order it from any number of sources (depending on where you live, and how much you're willing to pay).  I've found www.lockstock.com to have the best prices and a great selection.  Consider getting the Maxxguard option applied for $30, as it is similar to the duratouch coating on the Browning stocks, and makes the stock really grip well, and is supposed to add a measure of noise reduction and durability.  I'll be ordering for my 270Wby (to replace the tupperware) soon enough.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

bberg7794

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 04:15:27 PM »
After searching for over a year for a fine quality bolt rifle that is justifiably affordable, I finally purchased a new MK V Lightweight Sporter in 7mm-08 last summer and am very happy with my decision.  It is an excellent value for the money and is beautiful in that it is a purpose-built tool of fine quality.  This rifles catalog weight is 6 3/4 lbs, which is exactly what mine weighed prior to mounting the scope (7 3/4 lbs after adding a VX-III 2.5-8 with the Talley rings/mounts).  After hunting with this rifle for the season, I am very happy with it's weight and handling qualities in the field.  It is replacing a Rem 660 as my deer rifle, and I find the Sporter much easier to shoot from unsupported field positions.  I thought this rifle may be a bit light for my preference, but I now find it's weight ideal.  It easily beat the factory accuracy standard even with non-premium Rem Express ammunition.  There are a few things I have discovered while getting to know my Sporter that I feel others may like to know before purchasing one.  Please keep in mind that I am very happy with this rifle, do not regret my purchase at all, and feel that excepting the first issue, only an extremely particular individual would be bothered by any of the rest and the quality of build is still better than most of today's rifles.  First-The action length combined with the standard Talley rings/mounts do not allow any fore or aft adjustment of my chosen scope.  It is not a problem at 2.5 power, where I have it set at all times in the field, but I can not see the full field of view when it is set at 6 power or above.  I have just ordered an extension mount for the front from Talley, and am sure this will remedy the problem.  Second-The gap between the stock and barrel on the forend is not perfectly even.  I am not planning on changing this as the stock is better looking than most for rifles of this price point.  Third-I had heard the safety on the MK V is nearly silent in operation and very smooth, but my safety is not.  It is not any worse than most rifles and may wear in a bit with use, but I may try and get it looked at.  I can release it nearly silently by keeping some pressure on it like most other safeties.  It locks the bolt closed when selected to safe which is what I want, but the bolt has quite a bit of play in it when locked and I find myself fiddling with it.  After reading more I have found others who mention the safety/bolt lock is not as fine in the 6 lug bolt as it is in the 9 lug bolt.  Fourth-The trigger has a tiny bit of noticable hang just prior to release, which I have actually grown to like.  It is kind of like an extremely fine two stage military trigger.  I don't think that I am going to change the trigger.  Lastly-The cartridges are being scratched when fed from the magazine into the chamber.  I am going to take care of this issue myself with some careful honing and polishing.  I wanted a premium rifle and considered several, new and used, before purchasing this one and feel that this Weatherby is the best choice for me.  The Weatherby stock fits me better than any other and I wish that I had discovered this years ago.  I find the balance and handling of this rifle perfect-steady yet still very quick to get into action.  The bolt operation is very smooth, which apart from the stock fit was my next highest priority in selecting a rifle.  I love the short throw and scope clearance for my hand, and the minimal bolt slop when the bolt is fully open.  The matte finish is beautiful, extremely well done and of even quality, even in areas not visible when the barrel and action are installed in the stock.  After listing my observations about the scope mounting, safety, trigger, and cartridge scratching, I would still highly recommend the Sporter to anyone looking for a fine quality hunting tool that hints at artwork just below the surface.   

ccclabaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »
I received this rifle from my late father, and we had many adventures on several continents together (the 3 of us!). Always easy to handle, flat shooting to 200 yds (-1" at 100, +1" at 300). What a pleasure to own, use, and treasure. Will be handed down to a lucky relative when I am in my final bunkhouse.

Ron3115

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 09:08:52 PM »
I bought a mark V lightweight sporter in .280 Remington in 1995. It has seen little use but shoots and carries like a dream. Bad times may force me to sell it though. My question is the box is clearly marked mark V lightweight sporter, the gun, box, and receipt all reflect the same serial number. The gun itself only says mark V on it. But several guys who claim to be experts from cabellas tell me there is no such gun. Only a sporter, not a lightweight sporter and the gun is worth about $450. I know this is bull and they are wrong. I would love to know if one of you folks have any info , especially what it may be worth. Thxs

carpetking

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 04:03:24 AM »
From what I understand the lightweight sporter and sporter are one in the same. What lightweight refers to is the action. IT is a six lug action verses the standard 9 lug action of the magnum. These were brought out in the 90s. I owned 2 in 280, they shot extremely well. As for cabellas, they have gotten real bad at gun appraisals. If you check their website their prices are usually high but their trade ins are low balled.

bberg7794

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
I don't think the Lightweight Sporter has been offered since the early to mid-2000's, so the guy at Cabelas may have never seen one.  I paid $999 for mine brand new in the box and delivered just over two years ago and it's worth every penny of that to me.

This rifle is now wearing a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with a #4 reticle.  That solved the variable eye relief issue of the Leupold in the picture.  With the Leupold I couldn't see through the scope above 6x without really crawling up the stock.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:18:22 PM by bberg7794 »

englishsetter

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »
I bought a Mark V sporter in 1993. I believe that was the last year the Mark V was made in Japan. I was lucky to find a new Weatherby Supreme scope in 3 x 9 x 44 before Weatherby quit making them. Mounted with a set of Redfield mounts, this rifle really produces in the field or at the shooting range.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »
Ron3115,  It's probably worth somewhere in the 650-800 range if I had to guess. Basically with used guns right now it's worth whatever someone with the cash is willing to pay you for it.  If your serious about selling it shoot me a PM. I'd love a Mark  V in 280.

Chip

ballistic

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
Thought I would share some photos of my Mark V sporter 7mm rem. I really like this rifle, with the right load it shoots very well.