Spike Camp

Transgender "buck"

musicman

• View Profile
Transgender "buck"
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
My Son's brother in law Clint, called him this morning as to what to do; Clint has only been hunting for three years now, not having been raised in a "hunting" family.  He shot a large  "doe" that had a dangler and a pair or wrangler's.  My son told him to put the antlerless deer tag, and doe permit on it, then he left to go check it out for himself.  Sure enough, upon examination, the deer was a buck I guess, but there were no bumps or any sign that it had ever had antlers.  They should have called a Game biologist to take a sample to see if the fellow was sterile or not.  They didn't think to age it by it's teeth.  Clint had observed a large "doe" several times this year, that did not hang out with the usual group of does, it always was for itself.  When it came out this morning he shot it since he still had two doe permits.  I wonder, if that buck was fertile, if there are some more of them out there, or would this be a trait that is not passed on.  If that trait were passed on, it sure could screw up the deer genetics in that area.  You can't hardly cull inferior bucks, if they do not have any antlers at all.  MM

badsection

Re: Transgender "buck"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »
I know a guy who took a antlerless buck a few years back and the Maryland game warden gave him a hard time but let it pass eventually. Same game warden that I pulled his truck out of a ditch!

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
Was this in California? ;) ;D
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 04:44:13 PM »
I have seen two does with antlers killed, but never a buck with out antlers or a doe with a package.
John

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »
I have killed an antlerless buck that I thought was a big doe.Got a big shock when I started to gut him.This deer had no rack and no testicles.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »
No rack no testicles sounds like a doe Tom, just kidding, unless he had a Johnson. ;D ??? He probably had a high pitch grunt too. lol
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »
Thank Goodness we have buck or Antlerless tags in TX nowadays... I shot something similar today... and I’d say your son’s BIL helped out the herd today...
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 11:11:31 PM »
No, not California; but rather Central Texas.  But, Austin is just 65 miles West of here, and Austin is sort of an "island" off of California.  There are a lot of green and blue haired, mystery gender, nut cases that reside there.  Maybe too much of their "smoke" blew our way, and screwed up the DNA code on this poor buck.  MM

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 04:53:24 AM »
It's  time to give this one a name , i vote Caitlin.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
This is probably why, in Ontario, we don't have "Buck or Doe" tags.

Deer tags are for either "antlered" or "antlerless" deer with antlerless being defined as any deer with less than 4" of "antler" on both sides.

That keeps the trans-gendered discussion out of hunt camps :)
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!