Spike Camp

Ruger Ranch 450 Bushmaster Hmmmm

Ruger Ranch 450 Bushmaster Hmmmm
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:36:18 PM »
I need,okay want, a new rifle.Looking at S2 240 Wby.Then I came up on this little thumper.https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/5/4/tested-the-450-bushmaster-ruger-american-rifle-ranch/ Interesting.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Re: Ruger Ranch 450 Bushmaster Hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
Interesting is right. Not sure about the 5.8 lbs. But the caliber and the idea I like. When I lived in Wisconsin l took a couple deer with a Ruger super redhawk in 44 mag, worked great with 240 gr hollow points

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
Isn't that what Chris uses?
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »
.257:That muzzle brake better work.lol
BM:I think his is on a AR platform.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:30:05 PM »
.257:That muzzle brake better work.lol
BM:I think his is on a AR platform.

Yea I think you are right, I just saw the 450 Bushmaster. :-[

My friend has a Ruger Ranch in 223 that he really likes. :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »
I've had several of the Ruger Ranch rifles.None were very accurate.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:26 AM »
One of my buddies at work has that rifle. He likes it. Everyone knows I love this round. Mine is in an AR platform. I don’t have dies for it yet but I really need to. This round has some real potential when handloaded. I know for a fact that it just hammers deer.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 07:19:25 AM »
Roger, thats an interesting little package with a big wallop. If you don't already have a thumper in a lever gun, or in an AR,  and since bolt actions are suppose to be a more accurate platform, (debatable) the Ruger is probably a good choice. The suggested usage for the 450 says med/Lg. where the Weatherby 240 is rated for med. only. (some hunters are known to extend the 240's capabilities) Neither cal. has a big selection of factory loads. I guess your intended use of the rifle has a lot to do with your final choice, so that may carry more weight. I did notice on the Hornady ballistics that for a 200 yard zero, you would be 4.9 inches high at 100yards. Thats probably common for "big bore" so to speak calibers in lever and the AR platform though. So do you want to hit your target with a marble or a bowling ball? Ha Ha Buying a new rifle is always fun, so good luck in buying what you want.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 07:28:45 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 08:41:34 AM »
I have mine almost 2” high at 100 which is a few inches low at 200. A buddy from work has a 220 yard gong and me and him both put an amazingly tight group to that distance. Its not a 500 yard gun wasn’t designed for that. It a 0-250 yard gun. I usually get a pass thru with mine. There has been two deer that it didn’t. One hit the bottom of the spine and was high in the shoulder. The second was a quartering towards us shot at a little under 100 yards. I have shot a few at 150-75 yards and got complete pass thru. Its like having a Magnum muzzleloader charge and a little more without the recoil and cleanup.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
What are you thinking about doing with it Terminator?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

ChipM

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
I've been looking at them since the gun shop in Michigan had them made up by Ruger and was selling them as fast as they could get them. Then Ruger added them to their line up. If I lived in a State that had the reg that you had to use a straight walled cartridge, I would've bought one in a second. Still might as it is a handy little package for short range deer hunting. If you look on Youtube, some guys are getting it done on deer from not to short of distances as well.

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 10:41:38 AM »
I'd go for it Roger.  I am glad that cartridge is finally being offered in a bolt gun.  Aren't they offering it in the Scout rifle as well.  I bought one of those Ruger's in .44 Mag a couple of years ago, and at fifty yards, it was a one ragged hole gun.  I would assume at 100 yards, it would be adequate for hogs and deer.  MM

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Looks like a fun one to take out for close hogs and such. The price is right, but that plastic trigger guard sure ain't a plus though.
Come and take it.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
If I am not mistaken they were making them in the No.1’s also.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »
A friend purchased one and loves it. He has taken deer, hogs, Black bears and a cow elk. They were shot from 30 yards out to 250. He mounted a Leupold vx111 1.75-6. He likes the muzzle brake and the weight of the rifle. His experience with 3 shot groups have been around two inches at 100 yds.
Prior to the availability of this rifle he used a muzzleloader, shotgun with sabots and a lever action 32 special for all his big game hunting. He never shot an animal over 100 yds in his 50 years of hunting before he bought this rifle. He always enjoyed teasing me about my Weatherby’s. He called them ICBM’s. After shooting a deer at 250 yards his opinion changed.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.