Spike Camp

Need advice for scope mounts

Need advice for scope mounts
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »
I just ordered a accuguard in 30-06 and will need mounts and rings for the scope.  Should I go with a standard picatinny rail and rings, or get something different?

Re: Need advice for scope mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
I'm a fan of Talley lightweight scope mounts. They work great and are cheaper than most other options. Have you decided on a scope?  :)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »
+1 on the talley lightweights
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:47:14 AM »
+2, I have the Talley lightweights on my Accuguard and they look nice and work perfectly.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
I have them on my Accumark. They are nice and not to expensive.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »
Rails are taticool, get standard Talleys through weatherby.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
+4 on the Talley. Especially the ones that say Weatherby. Or is it Vanguard? Wither way, they're classy and great quality.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »
I think it depends on what scope you put on, and if you plan on longer range shooting.  Today average scopes seem like they are getting shorter and shorter bell to bell mounting lengths,  not all,  but a lot of them and it's geared to short action lengths.  Your 30-06 is of course a long action,  the nice thing about picatinny rails is the option to move the rings in different locations for more comfortable eye relief , can be stronger if you space the rings farther apart , and the option to get 20 moa rail if you run out of elevation adjustment in the scope.  If that were the case and you run out of elevation in the scope turret you can always get Burris rings to compensate a certain amount for elevation and windage issues with either the rifle or scope.  Any of my newer long range rifles will be wearing rails,  I don't have to screw around when switching scopes wondering if they will fit.  Another thing nice about rails so long as they are built  to spec is you can switch scopes from one rifle to another with a rail and just re-sight in or remember both rifles settings and go verify.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:38:32 PM by zonie »

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:11:07 AM »
Nightforce base rail and rings
Mike

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
One more for the Talleys. Easy to mount and solid. The less parts that comprise an assembled mount, the better, I feel.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »
I'm either getting a meopro 3-9x40 or 3-9x50.

If I go the talley lightweight route will mediums give me room for the 50 bell? 

What about with a picatinny rail?  I already have an evolution rail I could use...

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »
I have a ziess conquest 4.5x14x50 on my accumark with the lightweight talley bases and medium vertical split rings and it clears the barrel by a hair,the meopro 3x9x50 has like 75 moa so I doubt you would need the rail

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
On the Vanguard long actions my Warnes and newer Weaver rings measure around 5.2"  outside to outside.  Make sure the scope fits !!! and give's you enough play to move the scope fore and aft without having to move your head as in snap shooting off hand without the scope blinking out. Might ask one of the guy's on here what the outside measurement on the talley lightweights are on a vanguard long action.  Then make some decisions,  I've broke enough scopes in my lifetime to make sure anymore to only buy scopes with really really good customer service and no fault warranties.   

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 04:29:10 AM »
I would suggest calling Talley on their 800 number and asking all the questions you have. They are very knowledgeable, easy to talk to and you don't have to buy from them, whatever you choose. They will give you the correct part numbers to get the best fit on your rifle. Get the right information, then buy wherever you want. 
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 04:44:08 AM »
I use Talley Lightweights on everyone of my Rifles, simply awesome mounts at an affordable price.
Maple Ridge,BC, Canada and when I can as many days as possible at our family cabin on Loon Lake,BC