Spike Camp

Help Me Choose (and Need Some Info) - First Post

Help Me Choose (and Need Some Info) - First Post
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
Hello Weatherby community,

My name is Caleb, and I'm in the final stage of the decision making process of buying my first Weatherby (and bolt-action at that), and have narrowed it down to two different models found at my local gun store: the Vanguard Wilderness, or the Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic. I do not care about the SS variant, which is why the model is omitted here.

I will primarily doing range shooting from 200 yds out, but the rifle will also double as a hunting rifle on occasion. I'm eyeing a standard .308 caliber, but also am toying with the 6.5 Creed for more of the range option. I also understand that the Wilderness is not offered in 6.5 Creed, so something else to consider.

I'm reaching out for an opinion of sorts on the two; basically a compare-and-contrast sort of deal. I have read up on all the actual differences, but really I still have a couple questions regarding, and am hoping someone could help me out (and guide me in my choice.), and maybe someone could give an example of reasoning for either or.

The first question has to do with the actual metal used for the parts on the gun. I read somewhere (don't remember where), that there is a slight quality upgrade to the Wilderness, but figured reaching out directly would be the best way to know.

Secondly, in terms of the stock, is the Synthetic Griptonite stock able to easily be taken out and an aftermarket stock dropped in down the line, or will it require a gunsmith to reinstall the action? I ask because I love the look of the Wilderness stock (and its material + weight saving), but wondered if I could save in the short term and buy a different aftermarket stock long term to use if that was the case.

Lastly, in terms of a realistic choice, what would your recommendation be? It would be chambered in .308 for me.

Thank you in advance for any information, and all help, regarding, and I look forward to joining the great Weatherby family.

Kindly,

Caleb

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Help Me Choose (and Need Some Info) - First Post
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
Caleb, welcome to the Nation. You've done a lot of homework on this, and you're asking good questions. Nice to see new, or at least new to bolt guns, shooters being smart about what they buy.

There's no difference in the steel used on the two models you mentioned. Both are going to be Chromoly Steel, and both have a matte black finish.

Stock changing is easy. You will have no trouble with it at all. You may, however, have some difficulty sourcing a stock which is the weight of the Wilderness, so perhaps a call to Weatherby to see what they would sell one for might be wise.

I think you'd be well served by either, so consider your budget, and whether or not the lighter weight of the Wilderness is a benefit to you. It won't be at the range, where weight tames recoil. Stalking or hiking for hinting, weight isn't necessarily your friend. But the standard Vanguard isn't heavy enough to be called a heavyweight, either.

You should also consider your overall budget, as you'll want to put about $40-50 in a set of Talley Lightweight scope ringmounts, and you'll want to top this with good glass, for which you should be thinking $200 for a good 3-9x40, and close to $600-700 if you're thinking you'll want to stretch that 200yds out to 600-1000 in the near future.

What optics are you considering?
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
Caleb, welcome to the Nation. You've done a lot of homework on this, and you're asking good questions. Nice to see new, or at least new to bolt guns, shooters being smart about what they buy.

There's no difference in the steel used on the two models you mentioned. Both are going to be Chromoly Steel, and both have a matte black finish.

Stock changing is easy. You will have no trouble with it at all. You may, however, have some difficulty sourcing a stock which is the weight of the Wilderness, so perhaps a call to Weatherby to see what they would sell one for might be wise.

I think you'd be well served by either, so consider your budget, and whether or not the lighter weight of the Wilderness is a benefit to you. It won't be at the range, where weight tames recoil. Stalking or hiking for hinting, weight isn't necessarily your friend. But the standard Vanguard isn't heavy enough to be called a heavyweight, either.

You should also consider your overall budget, as you'll want to put about $40-50 in a set of Talley Lightweight scope ringmounts, and you'll want to top this with good glass, for which you should be thinking $200 for a good 3-9x40, and close to $600-700 if you're thinking you'll want to stretch that 200yds out to 600-1000 in the near future.

What optics are you considering?

Thanks for the reply mate!

Also, thanks for the information. For some reason the pictures of the Wilderness seemed to hint at a different steel, which is why I asked that question.

I'll definitely reach out to Weatherby when they open back up tomorrow concerning the stock. I like the idea of lightweight option, but also will be primarily range shooting during the next few months, and over that time I'd easily be able to buy a new stock (budget wise).

Secondly, as far as rings and optics go, I actually already have them: the Talley Lightweights, as you mentioned, and then my scope is a Burris MTAC 4.5x14x42mm. It's heavier at almost 17 oz, but should fit my needs well. I took a chance on the MTAC (having no previous experience with Burris), and I'm extremely happy with it so far, although I've yet to shoot with it, of course. It's a discontinued model, but it looks great and very satisfied with the glass for the money I paid (about $160 out of my own pocket after gift cards), scope retailed for $550. Also have scope covers (BC) for it already so good there too.

So basically, in terms of budget, the only "real" things for me left are a sling, and possibly a bipod for some range shooting, plus the rifle itself.

Any other thoughts please let me know, and thanks for the reply! I'm sure it's not too fond to reply to these questions, so really I do appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:46:31 AM by b1ueseven »

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Welcome to the Nation.Post Picts of your setup when you get it and how she shoots
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
Welcome aboard.
JP
Moderator Jameson Parker
www.readjamesonparker.com

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
Welcome to the Nation.Post Picts of your setup when you get it and how she shoots

For sure, thanks.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
Welcome to the nation mate. Look forward to seeing and hearing how your rifle goes.
Aussie gun nut.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 07:04:14 PM »
Just as Dubyam mentioned, I suppose it comes down to overall budget and what exactly your primary purpose will be (or just what you want more). The Wilderness will be easier on hunts where a decent amount of walking is required, the standard Vanguard and its extra weight will be your friend on range days.

With the 2 guns you are considering though, being chambered it .308 I really think you ought to just get the one you personally like. Again, as Dubyam said, the standard Vanguard isn’t so heavy as to rule it out as a carry rifle and the Wilderness in .308, depending on your own recoil tolerance( and everyone is different) shouldn’t be so excessive as to abuse you. You can also always get an Accubrake installed.

Good luck and post some pics!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
Alright everyone. Thanks for chiming in before with answers/info to my questions.

After some contemplating, I finally went with the Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic model, in .308. Mounted the scope tonight (Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42mm with Butler Creek caps, Talley Lightweight rings, non-lapped for those curious), and finally have everything in order.

Can't wait to take this baby out to the range for the first time.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:12:03 PM »
Nice choice right there. Congrats.
Aussie gun nut.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 06:47:15 PM »
Sweet! Congrats! Now to sight it in and get it field christened.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 07:31:45 AM »
Quote b1ueseven:
"Secondly, as far as rings and optics go, I actually already have them: the Talley Lightweights, as you mentioned, and then my scope is a Burris MTAC 4.5x14x42mm. It's heavier at almost 17 oz, but should fit my needs well. I took a chance on the MTAC (having no previous experience with Burris), and I'm extremely happy with it so far, although I've yet to shoot with it, of course. It's a discontinued model, but it looks great and very satisfied with the glass for the money I paid (about $160 out of my own pocket after gift cards), scope retailed for $550. Also have scope covers (BC) for it already so good there too."

Welcome to the Nation. The Vanguard S2 is a great choice in rifles, and the stock is easily removed for after market upgrade if you choose? The reinstall could be as simple as a drop-in or may require a bit of hand tooling for a good fit, just depends on what you upgrade to.

I'm interested to hear your evaluation of this Burris multi dot ballistic reticle. Was it what you expected and how far out were you able to shoot?(to test the dots windage and elevation for precise distance) I can't say enough good things about Burris scopes, just never used an MTAC type scope on any of my rifles. You may have to try different bullet weights, (for 308 150 gr. and 168 are pretty std.) and even different brands of ammo to find your best accuracy. Every rifle has its own preference in ammo. Good luck at the range and let us know how the Burris worked out.

DosEquisShooter