Spike Camp

Real world differences in accuracy with models

Real world differences in accuracy with models
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:31 AM »
I currently have an s2 in stainless (257) and was wondering how much accurate the RC, accuguards, markv, etc varies. Obviously this is arbitrary to ammo (factory vs reload), shooters, rests and a multitude of other variables. The question is being posed if everything was identical how much would the real world accuracy vary between models for those of you who have shot them.

Thanks.

galamb

• View Profile
Re: Real world differences in accuracy with models
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Having have shot the S2, S2 RC and a few MK5's I can say from my experience that if you put any one of them in a gun vice, taking out the human factor, and all else being equal, there is no definitive accuracy advantage with one over the other.

In the case of the RC models, it's not that they are "more accurate" then the non-RC it's just that Weatherby has fired them to determine which brand/bullet weight is the most accurate from that particular rifle. So if you didn't have the time (or the inclination) to determine what that specific rifle "likes best", somebody else has done that work for you - and that's what you are paying for - not a more accurate rifle, but the time to figure out what will give you the best accuracy from that specific rifle.

When it comes to the different models will you shoot better (offhand) with an Accuguard then a regular griptonite on an S2? Perhaps, but I would suggest that both are "capable" of the same accuracy. Sometimes we just shoot one of our rifles more accurately than others. That could be the stock, the balance or even something as simple as our confidence in that particular rifle.

So I firmly believe that the accuracy "capability" is the same across the models, all else being equal. As the price increases you are paying for a better stock, better fit/finish and more human intervention in the manufacturing process but in the case of these models you are not paying for greater accuracy - you will be solely responsible for that with a Weatherby rifle.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:21:43 AM »
Galambís words on the accuracy of the different models  are true, as far as I can tell. The same factory ammo or had loads in three different rifles like you mentioned could group nearly the same. Maybe the stock of one of them feels and fits better than the others. The barrels and arenít going to be the same and the tolleraces might vary, but not enough to make a difference you can see in a shot group at 100 yards.
Itís a Weatherby, so youíre getting a fine product no matter which one it is.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »
Awesome.  Great feedback and thanks for the intel......