Spike Camp

how about some clips for 257 Vanguards and Mark Vs

how about some clips for 257 Vanguards and Mark Vs
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »
Sure would like to have removable mags/clips for Vanguards and Mark Vs in 257 wby caliber. I have both and use for deer hunting. It's a real pain to load and unload these rifles in the dark. There is a real need for Weatherby clips.

Re: how about some clips for 257 Vanguards and Mark Vs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:13:21 PM »
Um ok?  I don't see where it's so hard to press the floor plate release, open the floor plate, and let the cartridges fall into your hand in the dark or light.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
well if it's so easy to load/unload and unload then why do most manufactuers offer clips including Weatherby on some Vanguards? your comment was not very helpful!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:07:18 AM »
More parts,more tooling,means higher price.Southgates and Mark V's have been clipless for over 72 years.I'm sure lots of people have complained and Weatherby has looked into it.Nough said
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »
I can see that some people may want a magazine on a MKV. But as 224King said they would be more expensive. Especially because they would need to be made to match the gloss metal work on most MKV's.
Without sounding rude Hewater maybe you could practice loading and unloading your rifle in the dark? I have never had a problem doing it in the dark as I have the feel for it from doing it for so many years on all sorts of rifles.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Weatherby makes kits to give some vanguards and a couple other bees a detachable box magazine

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
But... Not for 257 I see so forget my earlier post

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »

OK Weatherby, What's the problem with offering a removable magazine for 257 caliber Vanguard models?
 As for spoiling the looks of a Mark V,  I can only say that there are a lot of other slick looking rifles available with detachable magazines.
 Loading and unloading mechanics. I guess I have no problem loading and unloading day or night. It's more a matter of convenience of where does one carry the bullets to load with and where does one put them when you unload. I carry four rounds in my shirt pocket and additional rounds in my pack just in case. Years ago when I hunted with my first rifle, (Remington 760 pump), I carried two 4 round clips in my pocket. Just a faster and easier way to load and unload, and easier way to carry extra ammo.

thank you all for listening

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
I get it. It stinks not being able to get a feature you want on a gun you like. All I can say is I’d be willing to bet a hundred bucks Weatherby has a good reason for not offering the DBM in certain calibers. They are in the business of giving the shooter/hunter what they want if they can, and I think they do a real good of doing so and keeping up with the trends. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out.

If you decide the DBM is worth not getting the .257 that’s completely understandable, post pics of what you get, we like all rifles around here. And if you do go ahead and get the 257bee, but you won’t be disappointed in that, it’s an awesome caliber.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »
I guess it all comes down to what one prefers. I have always prefered a floor plate over a detachable mag, the reason being i've lost a few magazines but never a floor plate.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »

Loading and unloading mechanics. I guess I have no problem loading and unloading day or night. It's more a matter of convenience of where does one carry the bullets to load with and where does one put them when you unload. I carry four rounds in my shirt pocket and additional rounds in my pack just in case.

thank you all for listening

Not to be a smart #$$ but you already have a great idea where to put the bullets to load and that you unloaded, a pocket.  As for extra ammo people carry it in various places such as the box it came in inside their pack or even a bullet holder that they wear on their belt.  Heck some slings even had loops to hold extra ammo.  ;)
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
I go one of three routes, 1. an “ammo wallet” in my pack (I like the Midway USA brand  ones that hold 10 cartridges, cheap, quality little things) 2. A holder attached to the butt end of the stock, or 3. The built in holders on a sling.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
I always just need 1 cartridge when I go hunting,  ::)  :D

Rob

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
We get 5 deer tags, 4, turkey tags, and unlimited hogs down here in TX. I try to line my shots up as well as I possibly can, but some times it just won’t all come together and I need a second or even third shot to fill them all out... :D

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
Not completely opposed to the idea of a detachable magazine but I personally don’t like the plastic bottom “metal” with the cheap feeling magazines a lot of manufacturers are using now.  I really like that most of the Vanguard models continue to have the hinged floor plates.  I do like a detachable magazine on a predator rifle as here in NH we can’t drive with loaded rifles and I frequently do a lot of quick stands and then drive on to the next spot.  All my rim fires will also have detachable magazines due to the amount of shooting I tend to do with them. That being said it’s largely personal preference.  I don’t care how accurate, reliable and inexpensive other rifles become.  I actually enjoy the loading and unloading of a bolt action blind magazine or hinged floor plate rifle.  My big game rifles will always be bolt actions without detachable magazines.