Spike Camp

Looking to add a 6.5-300 wby

Re: Looking to add a 6.5-300 wby
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »
Yeah I handload. I am going to go with a Boyds stock.  I already have a Zeiss Terra 3x9x42 ready to go.
Scott

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Yeah I handload. I am going to go with a Boyds stock.  I already have a Zeiss Terra 3x9x42 ready to go.

Awesome! I'm going to look for a used sporter or deluxe vanguard walnut stock and refinish if needed.
JW

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »

Awesome! I'm going to look for a used sporter or deluxe vanguard walnut stock and refinish if needed.

Good luck, I already looked for them but couldn't find any. If you find some letme know please.
Scott

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »

Good luck, I already looked for them but couldn't find any. If you find some letme know please.

I've found them over the years. Some on eBay; some at gun shows. All Weatherby rifles I've purchased with plastic stocks, I have restocked with Weatherby wood stocks. Patience is key here.

Another option is to purchase a stock from Weatherby. Their seconds used to be 50% of the regular replacements.

I will keep an eye out for both of us. You do the same. Last vanguard sporter wood stock I found was at a gun show for $75. It wasn't perfect but a little elbow grease and she shined up like a new penny. That was last year.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:13:01 AM by JWDynamics »
JW

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
Ill keep a look out for some stocks. Your rifle ship yet?
Scott

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
Ill keep a look out for some stocks. Your rifle ship yet?

Sounds good. Nope still shows it has moved to the shipping department (as of yesterday) but no updates since then. You?
JW

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
Mine moved to the processing department this morning.
Scott

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »
Got my shipping notification overnight. FedEx tracking shows it's in route and will be at my FFL on Monday sometime. I noticed it's coming out of Minnesota. I think my other orders from Buds came out of Kentucky. I guess they have multiple warehouses.
JW

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 08:26:06 AM »
Got my shipping notification overnight. FedEx tracking shows it's in route and will be at my FFL on Monday sometime. I noticed it's coming out of Minnesota. I think my other orders from Buds came out of Kentucky. I guess they have multiple warehouses.

Mine shipped this morning and will be here Monday too.  Mine isnt updated yet,  it just says label created.
Scott

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »

Yeah they have a few I believe.  Mine is shipping from Kentucky, maybe it just depends where were located?

Did you upgrade any of the stocks on your wby calibers?
Scott

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »

Yeah they have a few I believe.  Mine is shipping from Kentucky, maybe it just depends where were located?

Did you upgrade any of the stocks on your wby calibers?

Yes I have done 2 Vanguards and 1 Mark V. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. The first one I did was my 300 WBY series 1 Vanguard. I bought a used Vanguard sporter stock on eBay for $80 or thereabouts and completed refinished it. I did not have to do any mods to the inletting. The second one I did was for my 7mm WBY Mark V. I found a 90s era Mark V sporter (no rosewood tip and cap on that one). Again, no inletting. That rifle shoots like a dream. Finally, I did my 257 WBY Vanguard last year. I got a used Vanguard sporter stock at a gun show for $75. That one needed some minor inletting, which I achieved with some sandpaper. No filing or chiseling necessary.

For me, a wood stock is the only way to go. Plastic has no "soul".
JW

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
This thread has all my WBY rifle pics, sans the one that's on the way! I'm still working on my 240 WBY re-stocking. I bought a block of maple to make a custom tip and cap for a cheap Boyds walnut stock. I haven't messed with it much in the past few months but probably will start up again as things warm up this spring.

http://weatherbynation.com/index.php?topic=14749.0
JW

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 10:06:02 AM »
I restocked all my non wby calibers to wood but all my wby calibers I got with wood stocks. Im assuming the wby calibers are long action? Only reason I ask is because I saw something about magnum actions for stocks.
Scott

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »
I restocked all my non wby calibers to wood but all my wby calibers I got with wood stocks. Im assuming the wby calibers are long action? Only reason I ask is because I saw something about magnum actions for stocks.

For the Vanguards, I believe there are only 2 options... long action and short action. And yes, all of the Weatherby cartridges are long action sans maybe the 224.

For the Mark Vs, things get a little trickier. The same long action and short action rule applies but you also need to know your barrel contour so the channel on the stock will match up. Somewhere I have a PDF of the contours for the Mark Vs. I had to reference it when I restocked my 7mm WBY.
JW

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 12:11:15 PM »
That's what I thought.  I was trying to upgrade my stock on my 240 Accuguard and couldnt find anything because the barrel has a 3# contour.
Scott