Spike Camp

Problems with new 6.5-300

Re: Problems with new 6.5-300
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 05:00:56 AM »
Well if theres a spent case in the chamber. They can tell if its a factory load or a reloaded round.
To me it means it over heated and seezed up. Surprized it didnt open once it cooled down.
But I wouldnt sit down and shoot off a full box in any weatherby rifle. There just to hot for that sort of thing.

Not saying he shot 20 rounds at one sitting rapid fire, thats the total rounds he put thru the rifle since he owned it.  I will post more info after I talk to him again.
JohnP
"If its too good to be true, it is!"

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 06:40:32 AM »
Well if theres a spent case in the chamber. They can tell if its a factory load or a reloaded round.
To me it means it over heated and seezed up.
Playing Devils Advocate, (acknowledging excessive powder charge as a frequent cause for case seizing in a chamber)

1. Figure he used once fired 6.5-300 Weatherby brass to reload, what are the telltale signs on a spent case that has seized up in the chamber? (aside from any spliting)

2. Looking at a new unfired factory round, and comparing it to a once fired Weatherby reloaded round,(that has been "properly done") can you tell by eyeballing the two rounds which is which?

3.If he necked down 300 Weatherby brass, so that the shoulder radius is correct, how critical is the neck thickness and neck length, and can that cause the problem of seizing up.

Johnp034, If your friend hasn't already done it, he should also give Weatherby the lot number on the box of ammo he used so they can trace it back and check to see if there were any QC problems noted from that batch? Keep us updated.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »
danno50, maybe a different colored primer for your #2 would be a dead giveaway?   :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:24:43 PM by badsection »

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 09:00:58 AM »
As soon as I get back in touch with him, I will post additional info, and I will get the lot number of the ammo. 
JohnP

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »
he was shooting Weatherby ammo with 127 gr. Barnes bullets, I'll have the lot number later.  He spoke to a woman named Theresa in customer service, she said the rifle was unfixable and wanted to know if he wanted them to destroy it.  They are sending him some paperwork that they want him to sign, I guess to release them of any liability.  He is going to send me a copy of it.
JohnP

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 10:14:47 AM »
That sure doesn't seem right.
 ???

I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
Wonder if anyone can help, I have a friend in Tennessee who purchased a new Weatherby Mark V in the 6.5-300 Cal. 
Thank you!
How do you destroy a brand new 9 lug Weatherby Mark V bolt action beyond repair?
DosEquisShooter

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »
To me it means it over heated and seezed up.
Playing Devils Advocate, (acknowledging excessive powder charge as a frequent cause for case seizing in a chamber)

1. Figure he used once fired 6.5-300 Weatherby brass to reload, what are the telltale signs on a spent case that has seized up in the chamber? (aside from any spliting)

2. Looking at a new unfired factory round, and comparing it to a once fired Weatherby reloaded round,(that has been "properly done") can you tell by eyeballing the two rounds which is which?

3.If he necked down 300 Weatherby brass, so that the shoulder radius is correct, how critical is the neck thickness and neck length, and can that cause the problem of seizing up.

Johnp034, If your friend hasn't already done it, he should also give Weatherby the lot number on the box of ammo he used so they can trace it back and check to see if there were any QC problems noted from that batch? Keep us updated.
They get it open and it has a silver primer they would be able to tell also.
Like someone said above, it would be nice to hear what Weatherby says about it for nothing else for education. But if it is really factory ammo they would make it right. Never heard of Weatherby not making things right.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 12:10:39 PM »
There is information, somewhere here, that's not being told, because it just don't seem right. It's not that hard to tell between reloaded and factory ammo, and a Mark V action is quite strong, so for it to be unfixable, something really had to messed up.

Rob

cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
IF it was necked down brass, the stamp would be wrong.  I'd have to ask where he got the ammo. Could somebody be pirating ammo?  I would guess the paperwork mentioned would refer to destruction of the gun and serial number.  Weatherby's side of the story may never be heard with mentioning liability.  I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV.   :)

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »
Save that box of ammo. You state he has shot 20 rounds, was it the last one in the box?
Mike

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
I have a friend that buys his ammo from a local gun shop near me because it is so much cheaper than where he lives. I asked him to show me a box as we both shoot the same caliber ammo. He brought out a box and it was in the name brand box ( Not going to say which one) and it had a label on the box  that read "new remanufactured ammunition". I explained that some independent ammo loading companies use the name brand box, and use that label, but that ammo is not factory spec and could void his warranty.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »
Wonder if anyone can help, I have a friend in Tennessee who purchased a new Weatherby Mark V in the 6.5-300 Cal. 
Thank you!
How do you destroy a brand new 9 lug Weatherby Mark V bolt action beyond repair?

Could have been a 2-lug Vanguard. I just bought a 6.5-300 in a series 2.

Agree though, something seems odd with this story. Maybe the OP/friend of OP would be able to post letters, documentation between that party and Weatherby to shine more light.
JW

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
Thank you!

Agree though, something seems odd with this story. Maybe the OP/friend of OP would be able to post letters, documentation between that party and Weatherby to shine more light.
OP says "Mark V"

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »
Thank you!

OP says "Mark V"

Ah missed that. Thanks for the clarification!
JW