Spike Camp

Problems with new 6.5-300

Re: Problems with new 6.5-300
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
Op's friend ruins rifle he then sends it to weatherby, Weatherby determines it was negligence but OP's not buying into it. Weatherby says rifle is ruined and to sign papers in regards. Op asks for help from a forum after Weatherby the manufacturer says what it says and will always have the final say so. I'm not buying the factory ammo use either.

badsection

• Do or do not. There is no "try" Yoda, Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »
Op's friend ruins rifle he then sends it to weatherby, Weatherby determines it was negligence but OP's not buying into it. Weatherby says rifle is ruined and to sign papers in regards. Op asks for help from a forum after Weatherby the manufacturer says what it says and will always have the final say so. I'm not buying the factory ammo use either.
  After over 10 years of reading posts here, I tend to agree.  Weatherby doesn't back away from their mistakes, they make it right. I suppose there might be an exception, but I don't remember one.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:24:19 PM by badsection »

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »
My thoughts exactly how do you destroy a 9 lug bolt. My 257 wby had that burning 87 gr of h-870 and it was damn hot two down the tube and you couldnt hold the barrel for any more than 3 seconds and you had to let go, but it went over the chrony at 3876 fps with a 117 btsp. Backed it down to 82 grs and everything was happy, happy. Never had anything happen to that synthetic mark V. Gophers would just kind of disappear off the earth when hit. It does seem strange though, i feel we are missing some of the finer details of what went on with that particular rifle.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »
The 127 gr. factory Barnes he was shooting was lot# B653, and was Weatherby Select Plus ammo.  Weatherby is sending him some paper work, as soon as I get a copy of it, I will post it here. 
JohnP
"If its too good to be true, it is!"

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
It wouldn't be the first time a big ammo manufacturer had ammo way too hot, or a rifle maker  built a rifle out of spec,  and either needed a possible recall.    It wouldn't matter whether it was a vanguard or mark V  or any other large  commercial rifle maker who chambered a 6.5 x 300 assuming everything was to saami specs all those rifles are built to handle specific  test over charges.   I'm kind of curious as to what Weatherby wants him to sign and why ?    At this point it's all speculations until someone in the know say's something to put it to rest and I doubt that would be Weatherby for obvious reasons.

Side note:   I just seen on this website a Vanguard synthetic 26"  # 2 barrel @ 7 1/2 lbs  in 6.5x300 , not a bad idea.  ( haven't really looked at all the new Weatherby rifles in a while I'm glad to see more Weatherby chamberings in the Vanguards ).

I tend to give a person the benefit of the doubt until I hear the other side of the coin. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:48:04 PM by zonie »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
I can't make the math on this one add up. There's more to this story than we are being told. Every time there's been one of these stories, thats been the case. Im skeptical right now, and not far from calling bullcrap on this.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 03:52:48 AM »
Isn't Weatherby the manufacturer of this ammo, also, not Norma?     The plot thickens!   :)

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 04:02:04 AM »
It wouldn't be the first time a big ammo manufacturer had ammo way too hot, or a rifle maker  built a rifle out of spec,  and either needed a possible recall.    It wouldn't matter whether it was a vanguard or mark V  or any other large  commercial rifle maker who chambered a 6.5 x 300 assuming everything was to saami specs all those rifles are built to handle specific  test over charges.   I'm kind of curious as to what Weatherby wants him to sign and why ?    At this point it's all speculations until someone in the know say's something to put it to rest and I doubt that would be Weatherby for obvious reasons.

Side note:   I just seen on this website a Vanguard synthetic 26"  # 2 barrel @ 7 1/2 lbs  in 6.5x300 , not a bad idea.  ( haven't really looked at all the new Weatherby rifles in a while I'm glad to see more Weatherby chamberings in the Vanguards ).

I tend to give a person the benefit of the doubt until I hear the other side of the coin.

Thanks zonie
JohnP

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 05:52:19 AM »
The 127 gr. factory Barnes he was shooting was lot# B653, and was Weatherby Select Plus ammo.  Weatherby is sending him some paper work, as soon as I get a copy of it, I will post it here.

Proof of ammo purchase from Weatherby or other on-line store, or local gun shop will also help in determining authenticity of Select Plus ammo. (Not re-manufactured)

He should also keep a copy of his original rifle purchase, with serial number, to show as new rifle and first ownership.

johnp034, being your from Columbia Tn. how far away from you does your friend live? 
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 06:11:13 AM »
Danno, I don't live in Columbia at this time, but i see him from time to time.  As I said, as soon as I get more info, I will make it available. I'll also see if I can get a pic of the box of ammo and post it. 
JohnP

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 06:36:16 AM »
Back during the Vietnam "police action" the military had a mission named Eldest Son where we would lace the enemies ammo with doctored rounds that would blow the rifle up when fired. It was so good the NVA & VC started to believe the SKS rifles and AK47's were weak. We also had doctored mortar rounds that would explode in the tubes, killing all that were close. The point is, I hope we don't have anti hunters working in the ammo industry here in the U.S. lacing our ammo. I hope Weatherby will clear this up for us.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »
Godscountry,   Wow !  I could see that happening in time of war.  That one kind of took me by surprise.  I would hope no one would do that kind of stuff here or why would anyone want to do that at all,   then it comes to mind there are some un-hinged people out there that want to hurt people.  Maybe it's time to think about sealing ammo boxes with some type of tamper proof system something like they do with medicines.   

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »
The thing that gets me in all of this. is that Nothing can be proved until that spent case is removed from the chamber. And it sounds like the only way to do that is to cut open the rifle like A display model So the problem can be solved. either way that rifle is toast. Im sure that part of the paper work will say. That if this ends up being Weatherby's Fault they will make things right.
I cant wait until its all resolved myself. its like we have A best seller on our hands here and the end is in A chapter that hasn't been written yet.
Mark

badsection

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
Back during the Vietnam "police action" the military had a mission named Eldest Son where we would lace the enemies ammo with doctored rounds that would blow the rifle up when fired. It was so good the NVA & VC started to believe the SKS rifles and AK47's were weak. We also had doctored mortar rounds that would explode in the tubes, killing all that were close. The point is, I hope we don't have anti hunters working in the ammo industry here in the U.S. lacing our ammo. I hope Weatherby will clear this up for us.
  I hit on this idea on post #24 on this thread.  ;D  Seems you and I went to different schools together!   ;D

badsection

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
The thing that gets me in all of this. is that Nothing can be proved until that spent case is removed from the chamber. And it sounds like the only way to do that is to cut open the rifle like A display model So the problem can be solved. either way that rifle is toast. Im sure that part of the paper work will say. That if this ends up being Weatherby's Fault they will make things right.
I cant wait until its all resolved myself. its like we have A best seller on our hands here and the end is in A chapter that hasn't been written yet.
For Weatherby to claim this is a reload problem and not recall ammo or guns says they have proved to themselves exactly what happened to their satisfaction, IMO.   :)