Spike Camp

Problems with new 6.5-300

badsection

Re: Problems with new 6.5-300
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
so it has been quite a long time johnp you must have news on your friends rifle?
  +1   :)

badsection

« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
I would like to ask Weatherby a general question. What could someone do to totally  destroy a Mark V  in such a manner, without pointing any fingers?   :)

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2018, 07:58:29 AM »
I would like to ask Weatherby a general question. What could someone do to totally  destroy a Mark V  in such a manner, without pointing any fingers?   :)

Good question! I suspect there could be a myriad of scenarios. But I wouldn't expect Weatherby to proffer ways to destroy their own product on an open forum.

This has been an extraordinary thread. Could a reload render a Mark V unusable? The case for a reload was not stated by Weatherby themselves and while folks correctly presumed a different colored primer might give away a reload, no one mentioned that the appearance of die resizing marks would also verify a hand-load or a reload.

I guess a lot of us suspect it could be the possibility of an incorrect chambering of other than a 6.5-300WBY round, but I doubt Weatherby would be inclined to grant a public forum that information.

This has been a great thread to remind us all of safe and sound-thinking shooting and taking proper measures to ensure healthy hunting and shooting.  8)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
January 27th was johnp034's last post, so I suspect he doesn't want to give us the satisfaction of knowing that his "friend"lied to him after he had boasted about his friends honesty. That or johnp034 committed the rifle catastrophe himself and doesn't want to look like a fool by telling the truth. Just a thought.
DosEquisShooter

badsection

« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
I don't give a flying fork about the O P !  I was just asking how it was possible to destroy one of the single toughest action known. I have been told the Japanese Ariska was for years the impossible to destroy action. I was asking in the mindset how to avoid destroying a Mark V . I don't give a rat's ass about how J P destroyed his. I still bet he used handgun powder  in a rifle cartridge. A unrelated to this event comment is possible from Weatherby.

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »
I still bet he used handgun powder  in a rifle cartridge. A unrelated to this event comment is possible from Weatherby.
THAT sir, would be a good bet - highly plausible. Detonation, too, is a prime possibility or some non-6.5-300 cartridge that could fit into the chamber and explode the receiver's action area.

But I agree with you, that's one tough rifle to totally destroy, without some very good explanation!

« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2018, 07:41:03 AM »
I am also puzzled how you could destroy one. In Roy Weatherby's book on page 198 he gives a detailed description of what it took to break one and it is amazing the abuse he put it through.
John

« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
I read where P.O. Ackely use to pressure test actions to the point that they would blow apart with his cartridge designs and if I remember right it took over 100,000 psi to wreck a modern action of his time.
Since Roy was a big fan of P.O. I would presume he watched his experiments closely when designing his rifle action.
This also could explain why you can push a Ackely improved cartridge to some very high pressure with out seeing any signs( don't ask me how I know ). ;D
TD

« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2020, 10:15:31 AM »
I hate to bring this post back to the forefront but was this ever resolved? Maybe on another post? This is an important issue and I for one would like to know what caused this rifle to lock up.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

Grouchy

• Life is too important to take serious" Groucho
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2020, 11:17:31 AM »
All,
My name is Teresa from the Service Department at Weatherby.  We feel confident with our evaluation of this customers Mark V Accumark chambered in 6.5-300 Wby Mag. Due to the damage that has occurred to this rifle, the customer was given two options, either receive the damaged rifle back or if he prefers we could destroy it since it is unusable.  This choice is up to the customer who we are dealing directly with along with his local dealer that sent the rifle in for him.
Thank you.
  I think this post settles it.  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2020, 11:38:44 AM »
True, but it doesn't state what happened?  I'd have liked to know what caused it, but difficult to know for sure.  I'm sure the case would have told us a lot; right ammo, wrong case, wrong ammo, etc, etc. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2020, 12:08:58 PM »
I think it's as close as we will ever get to a answer. Obviously, Weatherby thought it was the owner's fault.  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
True, and we'll never know what really happened with that rifle. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »
I WANNA KNOW !!! >:(
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

Grouchy

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2020, 03:27:56 PM »
True, and we'll never know what really happened with that rifle.
I think owner F U(foul up) is the only conclusion. Knowing the exact answer is a legal liability thing. But a general idea as how to destroy a Mark V is a possible round about answer.  Adam? I am not a lawyer, but I play one on TV!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:36:25 PM by Grouchy »