Spike Camp

Reworking my 240 WBY stock

Reworking my 240 WBY stock
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
I'm finally getting around to finishing my 240 WBY stock. In my original post http://weatherbynation.com/index.php?topic=14749.msg137927#msg137927 I included a picture of my 240 WBY shortly after I first built it, which was 10+ years ago now. It's a Mauser 98 (1917 ERFURT) with an ER Shaw barrel and a Timney delux trigger. I had originally put a Fajen plastic stock on it.

Well a couple of years ago, I got a cheap Boyds plain jane stock with nothing and I mean nothing special going on. I started inletting it for my barrel and receiver and got it roughed in pretty close to where it needs to be. Then it sat on my bench for over a year until I decided to finally get back after it today.

A few months ago, I ordered a block of maple because I wanted to do something different. My thought was to do a maple tip and cap to give a lighter contrast to the walnut. I've seen a few custom rifles with this config and I really liked the finished product. So, here's the progress I made today on it. I will continue to post my progress as it comes along.

I plan on hand-checkering and glass-bedding before I send the metal parts out to be polished and re-blued.

JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

Re: Reworking my 240 WBY stock
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
Worked for a couple hours on this today. Its probably 90% where I want it now, minus the barrel channel. Here are some updated pics.

JW

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:41:14 PM »
Looking really good, keep us updated.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
Looking really good, keep us updated.

Thanks danno50! I created a cap for the grip last night and attached it. Started sanding it in this afternoon. Slowly but surely making progress.

JW

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:26:08 PM »
WOW, looks great!  Keep posting pictures of your progress.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 05:50:46 AM »
Thought I would bring this back from the dead. The stock I previously shared pictures of cracked and broke during the glass-bedding process. I had thinned it out too much I guess. Luckily, it was an inexpensive Boyd's stock so not a huge loss other than time and effort to that point.

I enlisted the help of a family member and he found a new piece of wood for me and finished it out. I think it turned out better than I expected. The new stock has some great figure and fiddling.

I included a pic from about 14 years ago when I first finished it. It had a Fajen tupperware stock and the metal was cold-blued DIY job. It shot great but was kinda ugly.

It ended up getting a new commercial bolt shroud, new bottom metal with hinged floor plate, polished and professionally re-blued, jeweled bolt, and of course the stock work.

The only thing I don't like about it now are the scope rings. The one's I bought for it last fall were too low and rubbed the bolt handle so I settled on a pair that were available so I could sight it in and hunt with it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 05:57:41 AM by JWDynamics »
JW

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 05:51:50 AM »
Here's the latest pics...
JW

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 05:53:06 AM »
And a couple more...
JW

txaggie

• If it bleeds we can kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 06:07:44 AM »
turned out beautiful!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 10:58:54 AM »
turned out beautiful!
Yes it did, congrats on a job well done!

I enjoy doing that kind of stock work and have finished the stocks on a number of my rifles.

I noticed a tube of Tightbond glue on your bench. Is that what you glued the tip and cap on with?  Did you use dowels in the cap?
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 12:38:50 PM »
turned out beautiful!
Yes it did, congrats on a job well done!

I enjoy doing that kind of stock work and have finished the stocks on a number of my rifles.

I noticed a tube of Tightbond glue on your bench. Is that what you glued the tip and cap on with?  Did you use dowels in the cap?

Thanks for the kind words. It's definitely a one of a kind rifle now!

Yes, on the first stock (that cracked, broke and was discarded) I used that glue and as I recall a couple of small dowels. On the second and final stock my talented cousin did the all of the stock work so I'm not sure what glue he used but I know he uses dowels in his numerous stock projects.
JW

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 03:22:32 PM »
She came up beautifully. Nice work.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 07:00:46 PM »
Looks great.  Wish I had your skill. 
270 WM Deluxe (USA)
270 WM Accumark
7mm WM Deluxe (Japan)
7mm WM Accumark
22-250 Varmintmaster (Japan 24”)
224 WM Varmintmaster (Japan 26”)
22LR Tubular (Japan) x 2

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 07:02:12 PM »
Nice work,beautiful rifle
Max

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 12:38:22 PM »
Nice work,beautiful rifle
Looks great.  Wish I had your skill.

+1 What would be nice is outdoor daylight pictures. That would really be a drool starter.
DosEquisShooter