Spike Camp

Muzzle flip

baconeater20

Muzzle flip
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »
I recently purchased a 300 Win Mag Vanguard ll RC. I am reloading some 210 VLD's with it and the muzzle flip is something out of a nightmare. I can deal with the recoil just fine but to get back on the steel is tough for a follow up shot. What breaks do you guys recommend for the muzzle flip? I have looked at the Witt Machine but it just worries me not having something screwed on. They actually have great reviews. Thanks for the help.

MKG

Re: Muzzle flip
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »
First, check with Weatherby.  If you install a brake other than the Accubrake (installed by Weatherby) it could void your accuracy guarantee. 

baconeater20

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:54:57 AM »
Yeah but I am good with not having the warranty. I just work something to work on the muzzle flip.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
I'd strongly suggest a quality, side-discharge with a little top porting design, to aid in combating muzzle flip without creating an insane cloud of dust when shooting prone. You'll have to find a gunsmith to properly time it so it is level and works correctly. Look at Holland, among others.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
My suggestion is to send it to Weatherby and let them put one of their breaks on it.  You'll probably end up paying about the same as another brand and you'll get to keep your warranty.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

ctw

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 01:24:43 PM »
   I agree whole heartily with Chris333378 on this.  Weatherby makes a fantastic brake. My son -in-law has a .300 weath. mag in the mark v and had the same problum as you. That rifle would rear up like a wild horse making it next to impossible to call or get back on target. He asked my advice on how to solve this,and simply told him to contact weatherby about putting a brake on it. Long story short: He did just that, weatherby installed their brake and he couldn't be happier. ctw

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
I have used a few other brakes and the accubrake has been the best to eliminate muzzle flip. I want to be able to see what happens after the shot.
I use HSM 210 VLD for my 300 win mag for mule deer and whitetail. I have a 1971 Wby 300 and it does not like the 210 Berger VLD’s. I don’t reload so I have to use factory loads. This rifle loves 180 gr Barnes and is my preferred elk rifle.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
I have the Weatherby brake on my 340 and it's kicks up a lot of dust when shooting prone. But it does really tame the recoil and jump.
Going to try a 3 port Muscle brake. A friend has one on a 300 win mag and it works great, the way it is made you time it yourself. You may want to check it out

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 12:25:48 AM »
A brake done by anyone not directly approved by Weatherby to install a muzzle brake voids the warranty. Have it sent to an authorized service center and you'll be fine.
A friend had an Accubrake put on his Mark V 300 Wby. Now, the recoil only feels like what a 270 Win produces of the same basic weight and design as his Mark V. The muzzle jump is virtually gone. Staying on target is much easier. He had the brake installed because of an issue with his neck.
My youngest son has a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag with a brake and it has virtually no recoil or jump. It recoils less than his 12lb 308 Win.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

baconeater20

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 06:18:30 AM »
Thank you for all the responses. Once I figure out which way I will go I will be sure to post it and pictures.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:13:21 AM »
The Witt machine brake looks very interesting.I looked at all the reviews on it and was very impressed.Please let us know?
I currently have Vias and KDF brakes and have been happy with them.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 02:47:35 PM »
I don't know if you have anyone doing it in the States, but here in Australia there is a company that does what is called Magna Porting. It is simply some slits cut into the top of the barrel. It is designed to reduce muzzle flip and that's all.
It does decrease recoil a bit and the noise is up a bit, but it does a great job of stopping muzzle flip.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
It is done here in the States. Here ya go:

Mag-Na-Port Intl Inc
41302 Executive Dr , Harrison Township MI 48045
http://www.magnaport.com
Come and take it.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
Never have liked the looks of magna porting on Weatherby rifles. Magna porting works great on pistols and revolvers.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
Being in south Africa a warranty on a rifle was never really something I could use.

The muzzle flip is unfortunately largely a function of the Weatherby stock design. It does seem to help limit rearwards thrust, but muzzle flip can be extreme in larger calibres. My own 340 is a case in point.

The standard Weatherby brake seems to have a lot of holes all around it like a KDF and this will kick up an enormous amount of dust.

Shooting IPSC where an array of targets at speed may be required from the prone position we have all moved towards designs with side porting only and even this can cause problems. Designs similar to the muscle brake and Kirby Allen's "Painkiller" look like the right type of design to me. There are a host of similar designs. What you may want to avoid are ports angled to the rear only. This is great for cutting recoil but causes a lot of rearwards blast and can make you feel like you took a slap on the nose. Some designs have a "cut off" port right at the rear which is not angles rearwards to actually intercept the rearwards blast and this seems to work. As I recall the Muscle Brake has this feature.

If all shooting will be prone a suppressor may also be a good solution. I understand you can obtain permits now and so on?
I shoot cases with a belt because I feel the other cartridges need to pull their trousers up.