Spike Camp

Probably Wouldn’t Hunt These...

DW5

• View Profile
Probably Wouldn’t Hunt These...
« on: February 06, 2018, 07:25:19 PM »
Up for a little snow skiing in Northern NM. There are mule deer hanging out around the cabin that are basically pets. All the guests that stay at this place and the owners themselves feed them year round. Found some old corn kernels in the back of my truck from deer season. Been told there is a nice buck or two as well, hopefully I can get a pic or 2 them the next few days.

Last picture is of a herd of elk I passed on the way up. Only bull in the bunch I could spot was a small rag horn.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Probably Wouldn’t Hunt These...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:30:34 AM »
LOL nope I wouldn't hunt those either! Great pics! Pretty country.
JW

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:37:45 AM »
We went to Angel Fire ski resort a couple years after it opened in the early 70's.There were the biggest racked Mule deer bucks I had ever seen.They of course were being fed by people and would come up to the rear of the condos we stayed in while there.They had racks like Elk
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:18:07 AM »
Nice picts DW. If you did hunt them all you would need would be a hammer.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:54:30 AM »
Those are from the same family the guys from Realtree hunt on their show.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 08:47:48 AM »
Nice pictures, some nice deer in northern NM.   The older I get the less I hunt.  I won't hunt near home and I always been that way.  My wife really only has 1 more animal on her bucket list and she will most likely give up hunting.   I'm not too far behind I think.   I'll still go with hunting partners and still shoot, still go scouting,  or may take up bird hunting, and definitely keep game fishing in Mexico until I lose my sea legs. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:56:33 AM by zonie »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
We went to Angel Fire ski resort a couple years after it opened in the early 70's.There were the biggest racked Mule deer bucks I had ever seen.They of course were being fed by people and would come up to the rear of the condos we stayed in while there.They had racks like Elk

King, Angel Fire is where I am staying and where I skied today. Usually when I come up this way I’ll stay in Red River and ski either Angel Fire, Red River, or Taos, with Taos being my favorite mountain... but I have fun at all of them. The snow this year is somewhere way south of awful. However, I am truly blown away with how far man made snow and grooming has come in the last 10-15 years. I’ve been on a trip or 5 where the snow was like this and it was miserable. Today was nothing short of a delight on the mountain.

Only so many times you can ski the same 7 runs though. I hope to get to Taos one day and either Red River or Sipapu another... Ive never skied Sipapu in my life but the local shop guys are telling me they may have the best snow right now... looked up their lift ticket prices and that’s a plus too.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
I have skied on a lot of man made snow myself in New Mexico.One time I went skiing and it had just snowed 10 inches the night after we arrived in the afternoon.Didn't really know how to ski on the fresh snow after skiing on ice for years and years.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »
Ice, yes! That was exactly what I was expecting today. I was shocked at how far they have come with being able to, 1. Create quality snow/conditions and, 2. Even though most of the mountain was shut down, understandably, create those conditions on enough of it that you still felt like you had access to “the mountain.” First time I’ve ever experienced anything like it in terrible snow conditions. 

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
As hunters, we care a great deal about animals. We all take care of, or know someone who feeds the deer,  turkeys etc... and would never think of shooting them in our yards or near our farmhouse. We will go to our hunting camps or the back forty and hunt there. We enjoy watching them and observing their behavior and are entertained. We are constantly learning, even after a lifetime of watching various species. We have respect for them that non-hunters could never comprehend. We are the true guardians of wildlife.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:30:06 PM »
As hunters, we care a great deal about animals. We all take care of, or know someone who feeds the deer,  turkeys etc... and would never think of shooting them in our yards or near our farmhouse. We will go to our hunting camps or the back forty and hunt there. We enjoy watching them and observing their behavior and are entertained. We are constantly learning, even after a lifetime of watching various species. We have respect for them that non-hunters could never comprehend. We are the true guardians of wildlife.

Well stated Michiganhunter!

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »

Couldn’t agree more sir.

I’ve met a few interlopers/killers, and a mountain of activists, who kid themselves into believing they “care” about wildlife.... but when it’s time to get down to the nitty gritty, I’ve never come across a group of people who actually put their time/money where their mouth is like true hunters.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:25:52 PM by DW5 »

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:20:34 AM »
Roger, that hammer comment made me laugh out loud. Yeah, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel; what sport would that be. They're practically pets.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.