Spike Camp

This little Piggy went all the way home

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
This little Piggy went all the way home
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Last year I trailered a friends boat from Michigan to the Keys in Florida. I dropped it off and was heading back north when another friend called and asked if I would pick up a pet potbellied pig in Jacksonville Florida and deliver it to northern Indiana. They were moving there and flying out that morning.  It was a young girls pet and I agreed. I assumed the pig to be about 50 lbs and was potty trained. When I arrived there the pig was not 50 lbs. It did have a fat pot belly but was a 150 lbs.! I couldn’t lift a live 150lb pig so I went to Home Depot and had a 3/4” piece of 4x8 plywood cut down for a ramp. I put some pieces of an apple to entice Waddles (that’s  the pigs name) up the ramp and into the back of my SUV.
The pig was really nice tempered and soon was grunting happily riding north on I-75.
I stopped in Georgia at a rest area and walked him along the dog run letting him do what other pets do. He had a harness, which he would escape from as soon as he was back in the vehicle, and was friendly to people but not so much with dogs. He would grunt and pop its jaws and scared the hell out of any dogs that came near. He was quite popular with all the kids and especially with a group of college sorority girls that arrived in a couple vans. Pictures were taken and Waddles was as happy as a pig could possibly be.
When I tried to put Waddles back in the SUV, he would not go up the ramp no matter how many apples slices I put out. He had a harness on him but a pig this size would not move if it didn’t want to move. There were two young guys in pickup so I asked them to help me out. I told them to push on his butt as I grabbed its harness and an ear. If you have ever put your hands on a pig and try to move it, it will squeal like you were trying to kill it. As soon as Waddles started squealing those two tough guys took off. I couldn’t help but laugh. They would not come back to help. Of course, that noise drew a bit of attention to the situation. Those colleges girls came over and one of them said she would handle it and took charge. She told one girl to push and she put an armlock on Waddles and grabbed the ear and up and into my vehicle it went. Evidently she came from a farming family. The best part of this was when she walked to the truck where the boys were sitting, probably still scared, and said to them “ see boys, that’s how it’s done”. I still laugh when I think back to it.
I stopped and picked up some maple syrup and molasses and Waddles would get back in to the vehicle each time we took a break. When I stopped to get gas people would ask what was grunting in my vehicle. I would open the hatch and show them Waddles. There are a few more stories about that trip that was entertaining. Waddles would rest his chin on my shoulder as I drove and grunt most of the time. When it needed to stop at a rest area, it would grunt a little differently and push my shoulder with its snout. There was not one “accident”. Pigs are smart and they do not smell bad when they’re not wallowing in a pen or running feral. When I stopped to sleep at a rest area Waddles would sleep too. I didn’t think a motel that was “pet friendly” would have allowed a pig to stay there.
At another gas station/Subway combination in Kentucky a older man and his wife were checking out the pig and his family owned meat packing facility. When he tried to pat Waddles on the head, he popped his jaws and would have bit that old butcher if he could. Smart pig. The old guy had fun with a couple of women that asked me what I was doing with the pig. Before I could say anything, he told them we were having a barbecue and they were invited. His wife grabbed him by his shirt sleeve and got him out of there.
I hope when I’m that old I can be just like him.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:18:36 AM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

badsection

Re: This little Piggy went all the way home
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip!   :)  I did a trip that kind of distance with 2 pet ferrets. DAMN, those things stink!

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:55:14 PM »
Where are the Picts of the college girls. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »
Man, I wish I knew you were doing that trip since I live in GA, and I'm only 12 miles east of I-75 on exit 142.  You could have rested here, and I'm sure my wife would have tried to kidnap Waddles ;D ;D ;D  Shoot me a message if your ever on these neck of the woods.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:56:25 PM »
Terminator:Those college girls took pictures and posted them on Facebook.
Para: I will next time I’m passing through. Thanks
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
Man, I wish I knew you were doing that trip since I live in GA, and I'm only 12 miles east of I-75 on exit 142.  You could have rested here, and I'm sure my wife would have tried to kidnap Waddles ;D ;D ;D  Shoot me a message if your ever on these neck of the woods.

If he'd would have stopped you could of had a BBQ ;D :o
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:09:35 PM »
Lmao
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
Big muddy: now that’s funny!! 😁