Spike Camp

Weatherby Vanguard Lazerguard in .308 Win

dwmitchell61

Weatherby Vanguard Lazerguard in .308 Win
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
My girl just put the gun on layaway and purchased for $799. She is really struck by the beauty of the gun. I think I am enamored of it, also.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest mounts/rings/scope for dear hunting in the Pacific Northwest?

Thank you for adding me,

Dave

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Weatherby Vanguard Lazerguard in .308 Win
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
my .257 Lazerguard wears Leupold rings and bases and a Nikon Prostsaff5 at the moment. I’ve killed plenty of game with that setup.

If you are mountain hunting a set of Talley lightweights and a lighter scope may be the ticket.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
I have the same gun and it wears Talley lightweights. Perfect fit, rock solid.
Unclekax

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »
Your daughter has great taste.The Lazerguard is a sharp looking rifle.I'll throw a vote in for the Talleys and a Nikon Prostaff 5.I have several of them and think they are great glass for their price.Welcome to the Nation.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

dwmitchell61

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:28:06 AM »
Your daughter has great taste.The Lazerguard is a sharp looking rifle.I'll throw a vote in for the Talleys and a Nikon Prostaff 5.I have several of them and think they are great glass for their price.Welcome to the Nation.

Ha, ha.... Not my daughter. My girl (friend), she's 53 and has her own motorcycle. She wants a Kimber Micro Sapphire .380 for her concealed carry piece. That's next on my list.

Yes. She chose the rifle. She wants the capability for us to hunt should the poop hit the fan... Her daddy used to hunt and bring home elk & venison.

Thank you all for your input... I will look at the rings and scope...

dwmitchell61

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »
We found a Nikon Buckmaster II 3-9x40mm scope for $116.

I have ordered the 1" Weatherby Vanguard (Low) scope mounts/rings for $44.76 after tax.

Almost tempted to have a gunsmith put it all together, lapping it if necessary, and maybe a laser bore sight to get it close for zeroing when I get to my friend's 100-yd range

I don't plan on targeting at long range when it comes to game. 57 years old with cancer so packing it out a long distance with no "quad" will not be an option.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
I put my Buckmaster 3x9x40 with Talley low mounts on my Vanguard without any problems.( no lapping) A good hardy hand tight to finish. Put front and rear rings at the same time and and when you feel the screws start to snug up stop. Do the same to all. I used the diagonal method and tightened each screw a little at a time, and what you want is to try to keep the same gap or space between the rings on both ends. Easy peasy. I did leave the laser bore sighting to a gunsmith. With your condition, I applaud you in living life to its fullest, and wish nothing but the best of luck to you and your girl in all you do. 
DosEquisShooter

dwmitchell61

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 11:59:27 PM »
I put my Buckmaster 3x9x40 with Talley low mounts on my Vanguard without any problems.( no lapping) A good hardy hand tight to finish. Put front and rear rings at the same time and and when you feel the screws start to snug up stop. Do the same to all. I used the diagonal method and tightened each screw a little at a time, and what you want is to try to keep the same gap or space between the rings on both ends. Easy peasy. I did leave the laser bore sighting to a gunsmith. With your condition, I applaud you in living life to its fullest, and wish nothing but the best of luck to you and your girl in all you do.

Thank you, Sir!
The Sportsman's Warehouse told us today they offer free scope mounting with a collimator (rather than laser) boresight service. I will ask if they have a torque wrench to use. There are torque values given by Weatherby in their FAQ for the screws.