Spike Camp

Remington outdoor company bankrup!

Re: Remington outdoor company bankrup!
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 02:30:47 PM »
I've seen firsthand what Freedom Group did to Marlin. Looked at a new 336 in the store about a year ago that was so, so bad I couldn't believe it was sitting on display (or even boxed up to ship at the factory). I have good guns from both Marlin and Remington, but I bought them in the 1970's. I wouldn't touch a new one from either now. If they don't start caring about quality soon, they will die off. There may still be time to repair the damage if they'd stop sitting on their hands and take action. Shame what's been done to these companies after buyouts.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:39:58 PM by texweatherby »
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

badsection

• Do or do not. There is no "try" Yoda, Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
Even if the quality returned overnight, most of us would be skeptical for several years.  :)

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
For me Remington ranks right along side of Glock. Everyone seems to think these two are heads and tails above all others. Just not true at all. I own neither one but have owned several Remington products and still believe the pre lock or pre Remington sell out 870's are the best bang for buck pump actions. Glock on the other hand I see nothing intriguing with it................. ::).

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
For me Remington ranks right along side of Glock. Everyone seems to think these two are heads and tails above all others. Just not true at all. I own neither one but have owned several Remington products and still believe the pre lock or pre Remington sell out 870's are the best bang for buck pump actions. Glock on the other hand I see nothing intriguing with it................. ::).

I have to agree. I had 3 glocks over the years and have sold them off to fund other purchases. I just couldnít warm up to them. As of resent I am impressed with the new M&P line of pistols.

badsection

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:53 AM »
Since Remington's problem is all over the news now, it has given the gun haters chances to wish for all gun manufacturers  to go bankrupt as well in their comments.   

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
The good thing is, the companies still doing it right are doing OK, even with sales down from the closure of Obama-driven "get 'em while you still can" fear buying. Freedom Group are money people who know nothing about building firearms (obviously). AMF almost destroyed Harley-Davidson in the same way back in the 1970's.
Some like cologne, I like the smell of gunpowder.

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
I had heard about 10 years ago that the production line machines for the Remington 700 needed to be replaced. I have no idea if that happened, but Remington took a noticeable downturn in quality about 20 years ago.

I have several Remington 700 rifles...probably 15 of them. The newest one I have is a 338 Ultra Mag on a BDL that I bought the year that caliber was introduced. In its prime, the Remington 700 was one of the finest, most accurate rifles ever produced. It could be that again if managed correctly.

Look at Winchester...dead in 2006, but was purchased/managed correctly by FN and the new Winchester Model 70 rivals the quality of the pre-64 rifles. It can be done...
JK

badsection

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 06:25:33 AM »
I had heard about 10 years ago that the production line machines for the Remington 700 needed to be replaced. I have no idea if that happened, but Remington took a noticeable downturn in quality about 20 years ago.

I have several Remington 700 rifles...probably 15 of them. The newest one I have is a 338 Ultra Mag on a BDL that I bought the year that caliber was introduced. In its prime, the Remington 700 was one of the finest, most accurate rifles ever produced. It could be that again if managed correctly.

Look at Winchester...dead in 2006, but was purchased/managed correctly by FN and the new Winchester Model 70 rivals the quality of the pre-64 rifles. It can be done...

I didn't think Winchester went through the quality issues that Remington has.  Remington has pretty much destroyed it's reputation, imo.   :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2018, 06:55:14 AM »
Your right Bad, it wasn't quality problems, but fierce competition and old machinery. Excerpt from closing article:
The company, which makes Winchester rifles at its 344 Winchester Ave. headquarters at Science Park and is part of Belgium-based Herstal Group, said decreased demand and tougher competition by lower-priced gun makers overseas were key reasons for the decision. "The market has not been kind to us," DeMennato said, speaking about a 50 percent decrease in production at the facility because of a lack of demand.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2018, 04:15:41 PM »
I wouldn't say Winchester's diminished as much as Remington's, but the last rifles produced in New Haven, CT have some quality issues (I have one).

Winchester went away for a while for different reasons. I personally believe they wanted to close the union New Haven production facility. I got the impression that management/union relations were not going in the right direction.
JK

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 04:47:00 AM »
I wouldn't say Winchester's diminished as much as Remington's, but the last rifles produced in New Haven, CT have some quality issues (I have one).

Winchester went away for a while for different reasons. I personally believe they wanted to close the union New Haven production facility. I got the impression that management/union relations were not going in the right direction.

I would have to agree and also follow up with the new model 70ís are great guns. Iíve had a hand full now and let them get away. Does upset me that they are not USA made/built. Which is one reason Iím going with weatherby.

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »
I can understand that. The Mark V Weatherby and Remington 700 are both U.S. made.

The Weatherby Vanguard barreled action is made by Howa (Japan) and most (not all) pre-Mark V Weatherby rifles were made on FN Mauser actions. I have these rifles and they are pretty high quality as well.
JK