Spike Camp

Help identifying my Vanguard

BigTexasOne

• After 56 years in Ca., Moved to the Republic of TX
    • View Profile
Help identifying my Vanguard
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
I am confused as to what specific model my Vanguard .270 is.

The serial number starts with the letters "VL" which confirms it as a Weatherguard, however,

It does not have a synthetic stock

It is blued

It does not have a Monte Carlo stock

It is labeled, stamped in the barrel, "VANGUARD" and under that "Made in japan"  Also closer to the rear of the barrel it is stamped "by Weatherby, South Gate, California"

It has a proper, Weatherby imprinted recoil pad.

It has a script "W" on the grip base plate

https://photos.smugmug.com/Guns/i-jSf2N92/0/61a4eb93/M/DSCN4092-M.jpg

What is this Weatherby?  it is not for sale, I am not interested in it's value, I am simple trying to identify, specifically, what is it?

add:  I forgot to mention, on the inside of the stock is a serial number and between the trigger and the magazine are the letters "C I L"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:22:22 PM by BigTexasOne »
I spent a lot of money on Guns, cars, motorcycles, and boats, the rest of it, I wasted

Re: Help identifying my Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 05:41:41 AM »
Not sure of the specific model but it appears to be an early Vanguard since it has the South Gate marking.
JW

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 07:08:54 AM »
The VL may have designated Vanguard Lightweight in that Weatherguard model. Just something I read in an old post.

DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »
Years ago, in the 80's they had three versions of the Vanguard, the VGX, VGS, and VGL models.  The VGX looked like the Mark V Deluxe with the rose wood forend tip and pistol grip cap and the VGL and VGS had a walnut stock without the rose wood forend and pistol grip cap. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
The VL is for Vanguard Lightweight so check your barrel length to see if it measures 20". If it does, at least you now know what the VL in front of the serial number designates.
DosEquisShooter

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »
The stock appears to be a Vanguard Classic I style stock. The Classic II had a shadowline cheekpiece on the left side of the buttstock, so if yours has that, it could be a Classic II. I think the II also had a contrasting tip cap, but I may be mistaken. The non-monte carlo stock with a sarin rubbed finish and the W grip cap tell me Classic.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »
Btw, welcome to the nation. Hope you stick around for more than just information on your rifle Big T. There is plenty of Weatherby experience here on this site and the guys that provide it know their stuff.
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
Btw, welcome to the nation. Hope you stick around for more than just information on your rifle Big T. There is plenty of Weatherby experience here on this site and the guys that provide it know their stuff.

Yes, welcome!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

BigTexasOne

• After 56 years in Ca., Moved to the Republic of TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
I finally got to talk to the historian at Weatherby, who is 75 years old and going to retire rather than move to Wyoming.  Some of his records are not available currently due to preparation for the move, but he is certain that my rifle is a early 90's, (prior to 1994) Vanguard Classic I.  Everything we discussed matched up with that model, and even the serial number with the VL prefix was used on Classic I, even thought their website says Weatherguard. Without his records, he could not give me an exact date, nor could he decifer the markings on the inside of the stock.  Now, I need to find an original owners manual, clues anyone?
I spent a lot of money on Guns, cars, motorcycles, and boats, the rest of it, I wasted

tbone

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »
This is Teresa from the Service Dept offering some insight on the VGL model.  This description is taken from some notes in an older parts book of mine:

"The VGL is a lightweight.  It features an oil finished walnut stock without the forend tip, grip cap, and traditional diamond inlay.  It also features a black butt pad, matte blued barreled action with a 20" #1 contour barrel."

I hope that helps.

Thanks.