Spike Camp

Georgia Public Land Pig Hunt

Georgia Public Land Pig Hunt
« on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
I went out to hunt the WMA today that I posted about previously. We had the whole thing to ourselves and put some good time in walking the hills. The first pig we saw was a lone boar. The wind was at our backs, as we were circling back to the truck, the pig smelled us and took off like a bat out of hell.
The next pigs we saw were in a sounder of at least 15. We had the high ground and were somewhere between 80-100 yds away; the pigs had no clue they were being watched. Although we wanted to shoot the biggest in the group, none of the pigs would stand still very long and the windows for getting a shot at that distance were small. Finally we both got lined up on pigs and my buddy started the countdown. "1-2-*bang*"
We fired simultaneously and 2 pigs hit the dirt. I used a Ruger M77 in 270 WIN firing handloaded 130 grain Partitions. My buddy used a Remington 700 in 308 WIN firing a 168 grain SST load from Hornady.  The rest of the sounder hightailed it out of the draw they were in and quickly disappeared into the woods.
Overall it was a great day in the woods. Beautiful weather, good company exploring well maintained public land. I imagine we'll make another trip in the near future.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Re: Georgia Public Land Pig Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
Some good eating there.Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 08:48:44 PM »
Congratulations to you and your friend. Thats a winning pair. I agree with Roger, pigs that size are mighty fine eating.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
mmmm bacon,  ;D  nice shooting.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
Congrats! Hope you can get back soon. Is the public land you are hunting accessible by otc permit or did you have to gain access through some type of lottery/draw? Iím hoping to finally get out with my night vision scope next weekend. Been trying to get out for about a month now but life keeps on happening... ::) After seeing your pics and hearing about your hunt, now Iím even more antsy to get out...
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »
Is the public land you are hunting accessible by otc permit or did you have to gain access through some type of lottery/draw?

All it takes is a Georgia hunting license. There was a booth/station type place near the entrance where hunters sign in. Afterwhich, you're good to go.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
Easy access to public hunting is always nice.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....