Spike Camp

Japan Made WBY Mark V Deluxe 30/06 with 9 lug bolt?

Japan Made WBY Mark V Deluxe 30/06 with 9 lug bolt?
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
I have a WBY Mark V Deluxe in 30/06 but the bolt has 9lugs when all the info says they should have 6 lugs.  gun was manufactured in Japan.  Can you help me as I want to purchase bases from Warne to fit?  Thanks.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Japan Made WBY Mark V Deluxe 30/06 with 9 lug bolt?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
The 6-lug standard chamberings action didn't appear until production moved to the US in 1994. What you habe is a 9-lug Japanese action (used for both magnum and standard chamberings) and you need bases for the "magnum" or 9-lug action.

The correct Warne part numbers are M902/879, sold as a set.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 04:47:45 AM »
If you have to deal with a sales person where you are buying the bases and they ask what caliber your Mark V Weatherby is,tell them it's a 300 Weatherby Mag.They'll never know the difference and you'll get the right bases for your nine lug 30-06.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »
Thanks Dubyam and 224King.  The magazine well as well as the spring and follower of this rifle is a bit sloppy. As this was purchased second hand at a gun show, just wondering if it had been tampered with in this area.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »
How sloppy? If it has some space behind the follower, it could be lacking a spacer in the mag box.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
The magazine follower fits tight to the rear of the magazine box but it can shift laterally from side to side and it will only hold three cartridges of 30/06 before it shifts and the last one falls out.  I don't think it should be able to shift that way cause the manual says it should hold 5 in the magazine.  Tried it at one hundred yards today-three shot group 1 1/4".  Not bad for some cheap federal 180 gr. Factory loads. More than pleased.