Spike Camp

Is it time for an AR-15?

Re: Is it time for an AR-15?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
Well boys, I pulled the trigger and got me one. It was my second pick (my first choice was the same gun, just with a Magpul MOE hand guard). It was a long road, as my usual guy (1911enterprises) was sold out and all the suppliers he uses, such as gallery of guns, were on stock watch for both models. I even tried to find a Colt and some others, but all gone. Ross at 1911 told me the "under a grand AR's" are going like crazy. The Scopesmith in Houston had three S&W M&P15 Sports II's in stock, so this morning, me and two shooting buddies rode on over there and we all came home with new guns (they got a shotgun and a pistol). I would recommend The Scopesmith. The owner is a good guy; the store is a little hole in the wall, but man does he have a hell of an inventory and his prices are almost as good as 1911enterprises. I let the wife hold it when I got home and now she wants to know when she can shoot it. Hope to get it out tomorrow. Posted a pix below.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:59:33 PM by texweatherby »
Come and take it.

badsection

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
Cool!  :)

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »
Congrats.Wise decision to buy before they sky rocket.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with the AR's, what is the thing sticking up on the barrel? Can it come off for a Scout type scope?
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

badsection

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
I'm unfamiliar with the AR's, what is the thing sticking up on the barrel? Can it come off for a Scout type scope?
LOL, don't concern yourself!  Can you even get one there, even if it's dressed up as a India Indian?  Cosplay from the P M and family?    ;D

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »
Yessire Roger, Ross at 1911enterprises told me that it's pretty likely when stock comes in, prices will be higher (not from the manufacturer, but the distributors). I had asked him if I should wait for one from him and he said, "if I were you, I'd shoot over to Scopesmith and grab one now." The guy is honest. That's just what I did. Glad I found one when I did.
Come and take it.

badsection

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
I find the hi cap mags get in the way if you're shooting off a bench!   ;D

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 08:01:18 PM »
LOL, don't concern yourself!  Can you even get one there, even if it's dressed up as a India Indian?  Cosplay from the P M and family?    ;D

Don't rub it in. :-[ :-[

These are AR's aren't they? I can buy one up at PGT in Avonlea.

Colt LE6920, 16" Barrel, 1:7 twist, Fixed front sight/Magpul rear, GI rear stock, mag
5.56/223
$1,349.99
Colt LE6940, 16" Barrel, 1:7 twist, One Piece Monolithic upper, Sights, Mag, Sling,
5.56/223
$2,499.99

What's the difference for $1,100?
I can't tame wild women

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
Okay, first off, congratulations on the fine new Modern Sporting Rifle, Tex! If you want Magpul furniture, it's easy to change out (even the handguard) and there are a number of different options. Enjoy shooting the new gun and let me say I foresee a second MSR in your future for the wife!

Big Muddy, the price difference on the two you listed is the monolithic upper on the mode expensive one. That's "super cool" but I don't think I'd pay an extra $1100 for such. The first one you listed is a very good, highly serviceable rifle which will be fun to shoot and last you many years.

Now I'd also suggest folks who can go ahead and drop some coin (about $100) on a stripped lower and a stripped upper, and store them away. Spend the next chunk on a barrel. Then toss a few bucks each month gathering things like lower parts kits, stocks, grips, and other small parts. It will be insurance against the potential ban (which I fully expect won't come until the next democrat president (God help us!) but prices are already going up and are going to go up more shortly, until this current liberal crisis rights-grab is over.

If you're not writing letters to your representatives and to companies who are abandoning the NRA in political cowardice, you should be.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
Thanks, I wish Prairie had pictures on their sight, make it easier to compare.
Maybe when I win that Tika T3 stainless 223 on the draw I bought tickets on next month I should trade it on a AR. :)
I can't tame wild women

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2018, 02:19:30 PM »
I've got a question for you AR-15 experts, since I'm a total newbie on them and I hope it's not a stupid one. During cleaning, after removing the bolt carrier group, do you also field strip the BCG and clean all it's components every time you shoot/clean the rifle? I have not shot/cleaned yet it, but that looks like it would add a fair amount of time to do a cleaning on the rifle. I've shooting for 46 years, so I can't believe I'm asking a friggin' question like this, but I have a lot to learn about AR's and want to do no more or no less than what's correct. Thanks in advance for input.
Come and take it.

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »

Don't rub it in. :-[ :-[

These are AR's aren't they? I can buy one up at PGT in Avonlea.

Colt LE6920, 16" Barrel, 1:7 twist, Fixed front sight/Magpul rear, GI rear stock, mag
5.56/223
$1,349.99
Colt LE6940, 16" Barrel, 1:7 twist, One Piece Monolithic upper, Sights, Mag, Sling,
5.56/223
$2,499.99

What's the difference for $1,100?

Big Muddy, all you need is, that your PAL is the one you can buy restricted weapons, and a membership to a restricted weapon shooting range, and you can legally buy AR's in Canada, just like handguns.  8)

Rob

badsection

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
The bill to ban all "assault weapons" was introduced to Congress today!  Translation: the AR rush is now on!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:10:13 PM by badsection »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
Best guide I can provide, Tex, for how to maintain your AR is this one:

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-keep-your-carbine-running/
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »
Thanks, Dub, looks like a good read.
Come and take it.