Spike Camp

Excalibur crossbows

Excalibur crossbows
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »
Last year I came close to getting one last year. I am close to getting one this year too. Wife needs more convincing. She says the one I want is expensive for something I will only hunt 4-5 days with. I told her you never know I might really like to hunt with it. She said she has no doubt that I will shoot it but just doubts the amount I will hunt with it because I like my other bows too much.
How all has experience with one?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 12:43:57 PM by Chris »
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Re: Excalibur crossbows
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
Chris which model are you looking at?
5 of us all have Barnett Jackals and really like them for their cost.I do have an Excalibur scope on mine and like it.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
I have been hunting with an Excalibur for the last 8 years now. (I am also a dealer - also sell Barnett, Centerpoint, Bear etc).

I spent the money when Ontario added an extended late Deer season for bowhunters (Ontario, like many of the US States "now", has always considered a crossbow a "bow").

Then a half dozen years back they added a month long (plus a few days) early bow season. So if I choose I can "bow hunt" with my crossbow for 92 days a year starting October 1st and going until New Year's eve. Can even back that up to August 1st if I want to use it to hunt Black Bear.

Prior to my Excalibur, when it could only be used for two weeks "after the gun season" I had a pair of considerably more affordable Horton crossbows.

The first one was their least expensive model - one of those "I don't know if I will use this much" bow that I replaced after a couple of years because I "did" use it that much and really took to the hunting method.

My second Horton, one of their (better) recurves was only retired because parts support evaporated when they went bankrupt.

My Excal was expensive (for me) even back 8 years ago. In that time, with well over 15,000 shots through it (have my own range and 2000 shots a year is probably a really conservative estimate - I chart many of my days shooting), I have replaced nothing more than 4 strings that cost me 30 bucks for a pair from a custom string maker - they get changed every second spring whether they need it or not.

Some of the models have had limb issues - trying to pack too much power into stubby limbs on some models but many are near bulletproof. And unlike many other mfg's that have "limited" lifetime warranties (which usually means 5 years on the limbs, lifetime on everything else), Excalibur has a true lifetime warranty on everything but the strings and rubber pads (on any of the sound suppression).

They were bought out by Bowtech a couple years back (from being a family run company) but that has not (yet) affected the customer service or no question warranty.

Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »
I was looking at the bulldog 330. My daughter has the Jackal and a smaller one the Terrain xt. I have both a few times but since it’s hers I don’t shoot much because I will change something and it will effect the way she shoots them. The Jackal is a pretty nice crossbow. Especially for the price.
One thing I don’t like about those two is if a string needs replaced which shouldn’t be a big deal but I have to take it and have it worked on. I could pretty much take one of the Excalibur’s down by myself.
This model comes with eveything but air brakes.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:23 AM »
The BD 330 is one of the new for 2018 models.

The balance is a little better on the bull-pup stocks then the (regular) Matrix stocks. In fact Excalibur has discontinued the existing Matrix line (other than the BD models). So us dealers kinda expect a BD 355 to come out some time later this year.

Although I don't need one I am also in the market for a new bow this year - can't take my money with me :)

I did consider the BD 330 but then they released the 308 Short and I knew that would suit my needs much better. I hunt a couple of different stands and one ground blind so "compact" is most important to me.

Anyhow, although many today think anything slower than 370 fps is "too slow", 330 fps is still faster than the "typical" hunter would ever need. It is certainly a 40-50 yard (capable and ethical) speed but in reality 40 yards is reaching out there with any bow.

I personally would hunt Black Bear or Eastern Moose with the BD 330 and have zero concerns about it being lethal or ethical and it really is a lot of bow for Bambi hunting.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:18:28 PM »
I have one I believe its the Ibex, maybe I should check
Have taken a whitetail buck in Wisconsin with it. Also used it in Wyoming elk hunting but no luck.
Like the bow, no problems and it shoots good for a cheaper model

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 05:14:56 PM »
I thought about one the Grizzlies but for the price and extras it not a whole lot more really.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 08:01:50 PM »
I told the bow shop to order me the Bulldog 330. Hopefully Monday or Wednesday I will have it.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:40 PM »
Nice bow. The limbs on those are near bullet-proof now.

Balance is excellent and a 330 is "enough" for anything, save a Grizz, that you might wish to hunt in North America.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »
I had myself talked out of it a couple times.
These are not the quickest or the heaviest draw they have.I don’t want so much weight to where I struggle. I don’t know about crossbows but my last few compounds were rated about the same speed. To get better arrow flight I usually use heavier arrows. For what it comes with I think it a pretty good deal for an Excalibur. The 308 is a pretty cool looking crossbow too.
I would love to save and hunt a moose sometime. But if ever I had the chance I would use anything I was told too.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 07:16:25 PM »
The minimum arrow weight for the 330's is 350 grains (head included).

Most of the Matrix shooters on the Excalibur forum are shooting at least 400 to 425 grains. There is also a handful shooting upwards of 500 grains, of course at some speed penalty.

I am still shooting an old and discontinued Vixen II - 150 lb draw, 285 fps max with a minimum arrow weight of 325 grains.

Over the years I have shot two different arrows - 406 grain (total) Horton Bone Collectors (shot them until the old Horton went out of business and Beman stopped making the arrows) and now I shoot 394 grain (total) Gold Tip Laser II's - always shoot 100 grain heads.

Gold Tips, Black Eagle's and Spynal Tapp's (which are just select black eagle shafts custom finished) are the most popular arrows used by the serious crowd. All of various (models) from those three have heavy front inserts (90-100 grains) which puts the weight right up front.

The "diablo's" that will come with the bow are Easton C3 carbons done up for Excalibur. The were designed to be paired with the 150 grain Bolt Cutter broadheads. So they use the broadhead to get the "up front" weight which seems to suit Excalibur bows best.

Since many of us prefer to go with a 100 or 125 grain mechanical head instead it often requires scrapping the factory arrows in favour of a model that has the heavy front insert.

With a recurve crossbow the maximum (power/stress) is imparted on the arrow as soon as you pull the trigger - unlike a compound model that reaches that point when the cams kick over. Because of that the stiffness of the spine and the amount of weight forward of center (or front of center/FOC) seems to be more vital when shooting a recurve.

Something to consider if you start fiddling with arrow/head combinations.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »
That is some good to know stuff. I load ip the front to inctease my FOC for my longbows. Helps the arrow recover faster.
Thanks for telling me about the eastons I am sure they cost less without the Excalibur name on them.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 02:39:03 AM »
Bow shop told me it was in last night. I am working this week so I have to wait to pick it up.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 05:53:58 AM »
Should of called in today, the wait to pick it up is killing me.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
Picked it up yesterday. Today I shot it out to 50 yards.
Next I need to shoot a few broadheads and see what it likes and doesn’t like. Be nice if it likes regular muzzy’s or my Slick Tricks.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member