Spike Camp

Excalibur crossbows

Re: Excalibur crossbows
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:56 PM »
Sweet.Keep is informed.You might not be a mechanical fan.But "Rages" rocks. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
I am opened minded. I use Grim Reapers from time to time. I am going to try my practice heads today I think. I like the fixed because in a blind I can shoot thru the mesh. Windows have to be open with mechanical heads.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »
Sweet.Keep is informed.You might not be a mechanical fan.But "Rages" rocks. ;D
+1 on the Rages!!

Chris, my buddy in Colorado drew an Antelope tag in a trophy area and used his Matthews. He tested his fixed blade broad heads thru the mesh in his blind and found the accuracy stunk, so he ended up using mechanicals with the mesh out and ending shooting a good one over a water hole.
You should test yours for accuracy thru the mesh once you get serious.

Doug

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
Good call. I haven’t tried it yet but you are very right about checking that out first.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
The grim reaper practice head shot good. The slick trick shot good to 40 yards but at 50 it would shoot a little here and there but still within 3-4 inches.
So if I would choose one of these I would feel more confident with the grim reapers when it comes to accuracy.
My scope is supposed to be calibrated from 20-60. I found that 20-50 it is deadnuts. My 60 yard mark however is dead on at 65 yards. This is with the speed ring just past 300 and not the 330 mark. Closer to 315 maybe? I don’t know how accurate that is really. Chronograph is really the only way to really know.
Still happy with it and still surprised it is as quiet as it is. I was expecting it to be much loader. I still think that 40ish would be the max range I would attempt to shoot a deer. That sometimes can be a long shot in the woods. To shoot further than that it would have to be perfect conditions.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:04 AM »
I uncocked it today for the first time. I like having this option.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
I have been using the slick tricks more lately than the Grim Reapers. I have really only been shootin 20-40 yards though. A couple people told me that the reapers tend to open early with crossbows. I don’t want that. I kept my open for Rage heads on clearance so I could give them a try but no luck there.
I would of thought that I would of noticed string stretching by now but I haven’t noticed any yet.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

19frogger57

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
I currently own a Matrix 310 and a regular Matrix riser and limb assembly that I swap out for hunting season to hunt with a matrix 330.  I will be purchasing a BD330 in a few weeks. I like the simplicity Excalibur crossbows offer as far as maintenance goes, along with the accuracy and lifetime warranty. I also like the fact that I can change my own string in less than 2 minutes and know that poi will still be the same as long as I use matching strings - which is one reason I buy strings in pairs and shoot them both in until they settle in. 

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
Glad to see someone posting in the archery section.
Do you post on the Excalibur forum?
These crossbows are really accurate.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 05:36:32 PM »
I shot some Muzzy Mx-3 heads today. For some reason they shot better than I have shot them in the past. I don’t know if it’s a fluke or what? Be nice if they shot good. I have several packs of them.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
I used Rage from my Horton Xbow and they work great Chris. I understand you wanting to use Muzzy being you have several packages

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 05:44:28 AM »
I have heard of a lot of people using the Rage heads. I will keep shooting the Mx-3 heads for a while to see if it stays consistent. If not I will go back to the slick tricks. I really want to try the 150 grain boltcutters.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member