Spike Camp

Wyoming Mother-in-law IRS

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Wyoming Mother-in-law IRS
« on: February 18, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »
About 15 years ago I received a notice from the IRS in September to appear for an audit. The date of my appointment/audit was October 17th. My brother and I were leaving on October 12 th for our Wyoming mule deer hunt that opened on the 15th. As a nonresident I sent my money in for the tag in March and was notified in June that I received a tag. I called the IRS and they would not budge on the date. I was stuck with a tag and it was just the two of us going that year. To say the least, I was ticked off.
His asked his mother-in-law if she wanted to go. She had never traveled much and Joel told her they would stop and do some sightseeing. She was from a farming/rural background so she didn’t need a 5 star motel to make her happy. Joel had a nice 28 ft camper that was just fine with her. She was about 70 at the time and tough and youthful for her age.
Joel went up into the mountains and camped on BLM Land. She insisted on doing the cooking and even got up early to cook breakfast for him before the hunt. On opening morning she woke Joel up with breakfast ready. He noticed it wasn’t getting light and checked the time. She had set the alarm for Michigan time which is 2 hours ahead of Wyoming time. They laughed about it and played cards or a board game until it was time to go. The game warden stopped by and a few other hunters that found it interesting to see this gray haired lady knitting and coming along with her son-in-law. He shot a buck on the second day. They then went to Yellowstone for a few days, Mount Rushmore and even Wall Drugs. She had a great time. She passed on last year at 85. My sister in law found her diary and she had written down about that trip and said it was best vacation of her life and how her son in law was the best. She said it was the most relaxing time out there in the mountains. Last year when we went back to Wyoming with our priest, Father Art and my nephew Jimmy  we had a little ceremonial  blessing and spread some of her ashes. It was quite special.
About my audit. I went for my audit on October 17th. I waited for 4 hours and then was told the IRS auditor for my case was on vacation that week and she would call me to reschedule.
After being upset at the government for 15 years and screwing up my hunting trip, after reading her diary,  I was happy I didn’t go that year.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:57:22 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

badsection

Re: Wyoming Mother-in-law IRS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
Good story!   :)

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
awesome  8)

Rob

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
Sometimes you never know what the good Lord has in plan. My  mother in law and I had a real rocky start (30 + years) but in 2015 she and I had a chance to sit down and really talk. We soon became the best of friends. She passed this past Thursday at almost 95 years old, and yes the past few years more than made up for the previous 30.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
What a great story! 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".