Spike Camp

Hunt

dixie1

• View Profile
Hunt
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »
It is now getting close for the trip to South Africa 5/23-6/2. We will be hunting around Kimberly. Got the hunt at a DU dinner live auction. Looking at a Gemsbock, Wildebeest, Zebra, And a Warthog. The .300 wby will get a good workout.
 The other guy wants a Kudu and a couple of others.

badsection

Re: Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »
Good luck and enjoy every second!   :)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
That sounds like a fun trip.
What ammo will you use in your 300

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »
either 150 or 180 partitions. going to test some 165gr ttsx see how they group.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Good luck.Looking to see lots of Picts of your kills.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »
Always wanted to go there on safari. Read all the books and magazine articles throughout the years. I wish you well on your hunt.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:50:51 PM »
Good luck.Looking to see lots of Picts of your kills.

+1 and have a blast!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
Good luck on your hunt. I look forward to hearing the story and seeing your photos.
I hunted the Kimberley region on my 1st trip to RSA. It is a good area for a mixed bag hunt like you guys are doing. Best of luck.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
either 150 or 180 partitions. going to test some 165gr ttsx see how they group.
I used 168 gr TSX and TTSXs in my .300 Wby on three African hunts.  They worked great.
NRA Endowment Life Member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
Good luck to ya.  I also took a 300 Wby with 180 Accubonds, and worked perfectly!  The only animal that required two shot was the wildebeest, and that was my fault with a bad shot.   Practice, and practice some more shooting from the sticks, because most of your shots will be from the sticks.

Another bit of advise, take only two changes of hunting clothes, because most places they was your clothes every day.  That way you'll leave room in your suit case for souvenirs, and what not.

Can't wait to see pictures, and read your report.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »
have a great time  8)  I agree with what Para45 posted, practice shooting off of sticks, and don't take too many clothes, I learned those lesson's the hard way when I went on my first international hunt  ::) 

Rob

zonie

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
I hate shooting off sticks,  in Africa at least I would go with one of several  tripod type systems that  also holds the rear stock  for more stable shooting over those spikey bushes.  Here in the states a couple years ago I bought my wife a Caldwell deadshot field pod,  it supports the rifle front and back, the original short version,  works great,  very stable,  they do make a standing magnum version, can't say if I would like it or not.   The 300 will work fine I shot a really big Eland @ 250 yds or so Frontier Spartan 180 grain bullets, a friend makes them in South Africa, can't get them here,  similar to a Barnes tsx with much deeper HP and differences in  driving bands so it opens up faster and still retains weight for penetration.  The Barnes TSX and TTSX are both fine bullets used the TSX in Africa,  I'd probably opt for the TTSX  versions  if you want them to open up a little faster.  Bunch of good bullets out there,  I'd personally get an African anatomy book and look at vital zones and practice different shooting positions especially off hand if you can't find a rest someplace and the shot is not terribly far.  One day I was watching  training/shooting scenario's  for licensing  African professional hunter applicants  at friends company and range, pretty cool  stuff.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:22:20 AM by zonie »

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
The Barnes TSX and TTSX are both fine bullets used the TSX in Africa,  I'd probably opt for the TTSX  versions  if you want them to open up a little faster.  Bunch of good bullets out there,  I'd personally get an African anatomy book and look at vital zones and practice different shooting positions especially off hand if you can't find a rest someplace and the shot is not terribly far.  One day I was watching  training/shooting scenario's  for licensing  African professional hunter applicants  at friends company and range, pretty cool  stuff.
I will be practiceing shooting off sticks.
 I am going to try some 165 ttsx to see how accurate they are after i clean the copper out of the barrel. Not to bad to do right now less the 50 rounds shot so far on a new gun.
 I do really like the book idea for anatomy.

badsection

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 08:47:46 AM »
"The Perfect Shot" by Robertson is a good book for African game shot placement.   :)

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »
"The Perfect Shot" by Robertson is a good book for African game shot placement.   :)
Look in to it Thank you