Spike Camp

Deluxe Sporter from WalMart

Hobbes

Deluxe Sporter from WalMart
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
Anyone purchased one of these? Available in .243, .270, .308 & 30-06. Can’t find much of anything about them online but my local Walmart has two in stock and claim they can order me which ever I want for $640. It has a high gloss finish on barrel and stock. Can’t tell if it’s the deluxe or sporter walnut. Has a black recoil pad.  I plan to get the .308 When I have time to get back up there.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Deluxe Sporter from WalMart
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:50:30 PM »
Have not purchased one of them so I can't help there but love your Avatar.Kudos on your choice of 308 also.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Hobbes

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:52:39 PM »
Thanks, that’s “Hobbes” in the pic. 125lbs of couch killer.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
I’d like to see some pics once you get! What are your hunting/shooting plans with it? Already have your glass picked out? I haven’t had my Vanguard .308 long, but I’m really digging it.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:28:00 AM »
If it is a glossy stock then it is probably a Deluxe. The Sporters have a satin finish. Going from a black plastic injection molded stock to a Sporter stock shrunk the size of my 3-shot group with my 300 Weatherby. The receiver is not bedded but at this point it won't make a difference for hunting.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:28:05 AM »
Wal-Mart actually has a special run of this model, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. The stock is the high gloss, as is the metal, but no white lime spacers or grip cap. Can't remember if it has a contrasting tip or not. Cool rifle, and different than most out there now.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Hobbes

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Wal-Mart actually has a special run of this model, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. The stock is the high gloss, as is the metal, but no white lime spacers or grip cap. Can't remember if it has a contrasting tip or not. Cool rifle, and different than most out there now.
I don’t think it has the contrasting tip. I’ve not seen it anywhere else. I was set to buy a synthetic stock until I held this one.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »
My wife works for Walmart so I get a discount. Might have to see if there any at one of our local Walmart’s.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
.270 or .30-06 might be nice to have.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Hobbes

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:07:05 PM »
Well after finding out that most WalMarts in KS don’t have this model, it turns out the one three blocks from my house had four different calibers in stock. Including the .308 which I purchased. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. I am curious should I go low or medium on the Talley rings? I’ve got a new Sig 3x9x40 ready and waiting.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 03:58:41 AM »
I have low Talley mounts for my Mark V. Should be fine.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:12 AM »
+1 The 1" low Lightweight Vanguard mounts made by Talley and sold by Weatherby will work fine for your 40mm obj. They also have the Vanguard name inscribed on the bases. Its a nice look.
DosEquisShooter

Hobbes

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 08:19:46 PM »
Just some quick pictures. Hopefully I’ll have the scope mounted this week and have it dialed in this weekend. I think I’ll take it down to Texas and hog hunt in the next few months.

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »
Let me know how you like it. I've had my eye on one of those for a while.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:41:48 PM by Cbloom20 »
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
Nice looking rifle. Good price. Welcome to the Weatherby Nation.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.