Spike Camp

my vanguard is all over the target!

my vanguard is all over the target!
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:25 AM »
I have a vanguard S1 in 300 win mag and I just can't get it to shot, 150gr Remington co-loks shot about 5 inches at 100 yds, I also tried federal 165gr nosler partitions and out of 5 shot I could get 3 under a inch but 2 flyers were 4 to 6 inches away, trigger is not very good, what would you replace it with?

Re: my vanguard is all over the target!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
The first thing I would do is to check the screws for that hold the action to the stock and the screws for the scope mounts and rings.  Then I could clean the barrel with a quality bore cleaner such as Sweets 7.62, Montana Bore Blend, or something like that.  Then I would try a different ammo that is 180 grains.  It could be that your rifle doesn't like the lighter weight bullets, has one or more screws loose, the barrel is seriously copper fouled, or any combination of them.  If none of those things get your groups to tighten up I'd contact Weatherby because they have an inch and a half accuracy guarantee and if you change the trigger yourself you'd void the warranty.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:12:09 PM »
screws are all good, I checked them before I fired a shot, tally rings and the bore was spotless, maybe 180's would cure it, trigger is horrible, would weatherby set it back to factory specs, I think the previous owner played with it, my uncle who past away last summer, the only ammo I could find with his hunting gear was 150gr cor-loks so that's where I started and the federal was 50% off

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:29:17 PM »
It never hurts to ask.  Back when I was new on the Nation, there was a run of Vanguards with creepy triggers.  One of the guys at Weatherby jumped on the post and said "send it back and we'll make it right." 

My .30-06 is very creepy and particular to Federal blue box 165gr.  Everything else doesn't quite group well. (not including reloads.  It loves lighter weight bullets)  May want to trade out scopes just to verify that's not the issue.  Its funny what happens when you move scopes around.... sometimes the issues fix themselves. 

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
that's good to know about the trigger, scope was on my 3oo weatherby mag with no issues, an older bushnell scopechiefVI,  how would a fella contact weatherby? My biggest problem on sending anything in is I am in Canada
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:51:17 PM by dannyr »

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »
Give them a call & talk to customer service. If I'm not mistaken, there are certified smiths in Canada. They may have you send it to one of them. Either way, if you'll call, they'll tell you what to do.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 07:30:40 PM »
there are 2 service centers for Weatherby in Canada, one is in Ontario( Ellewood Epps) and one is in BC(I don't recall the name of it). I've had a lot better service with ElleWood Epps.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:11:34 AM »
thanks fellas, epps has a pretty good rep

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:21:12 PM »
I don't believe the original Vanguard (S1) triggers are being replaced for free anymore. The new Vanguard triggers are a two stage type, which I feel are a great improvement, or you could go with a Timney trigger for about the same price.(you can find the Timney's on sale at some online retailers) That said, a bad trigger isn't usually a cause for flyers if your trigger pull is consistent. Keep in mind that the torque value for the action screws is different for synthetic vs wood so theres that. When you do torque the action screws, check to see if the barrel is staying in the center of the channel. If its not centered, it may touch slightly on the stock as the barrel heats up a bit. Remove the action from the stock and make sure theres no obstruction on the stock or underneath the barrel. Check the crown of the rifle, because even a slight ding on the crown can cause a flyer and not on every shot. Crown damage isn't always visible, and the crown can be damaged with a cleaning rod, so its always a possibility. Your uncle may have had the same problems and just didn't worry about it. Anyway, just a couple of things to think about before you ship her off. Good luck   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:23:59 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »
wow, I whish I could put a pic up, first 3 shots in a inch group, the fourth round was 2 inches off the group but that always happens to me lol, try to shot a very nice 5 shot group and I always get flyer lol

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
Iím not trying to sound sarcastic, really Iím not.
Shoot a 3 shot group.
Wait a couple hours and do it again.
I have a .257 Wby thatís 20 yrs old. I would shoot 3 shots and the the 4 th was a flyer. I tried a lot of things and still get the flyer. I thought about how many times hunting that i shot more than 3 times. I couldnít remember 1time. 2 shots a few times. Iím just saying if you are getting 3 shot groups in 1Ē I would be happy. Just try shooting 3 and waiting a few hours. Once again, Iím not being a smart as. If you want a five shot group, other peopleís advice would be better than mine. Take it to somebody who has more knowledge.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

eoats

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 09:27:14 PM »
Took me quite a few different kinds of ammo before I got Sub MOA with my 30-06.
The lighter bullets not good - 165 or 180 was good.

Barnes & the faster 'super' Hornady seem the best to my rifle.
Nosler not so good for me & I tried their factory loads as well as Winschester's custom loads.
Really surprised me at the variations of the different ammo.

Also, I did upgrade to the Timney Trigger & a Bell & Carlson Stock that I free floated.
The stock upgrade seemed to help me get under the 1 MOA
Never really could get a solid response about why Weatherby has the pressure point in all the Long Action rifles at the same place. Even if one caliber likes these points at a certain spot I can't believe all long action loads would be harmonically the same. My 30-06 isn't the same as a 300 WinMag.