Spike Camp

220 Rocket

Re: 220 Rocket
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
the point is moot, since they're not bringing it back.

and they already have to 240wby.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:58 AM »
I don't know.  With the .22-250 pretty much the hands down .224 varmint caliber, and several other really good .22's out there, it seems there is no need to revive the Rocket.  But now with people finding out about the really heavy .224 caliber projectiles that can be launched from a fast-twist barrel, if Weatherby would do a small run of Rockets with a fast twist barrel, it could be a good thing.  Old timers still talk of the "magic" of the Swift, and the Rocket is essentially an improved Swift.  What hurt both of them was the throat erosion of the barrels of that time period.  With today's modern steels, that should not be a problem.  In South Texas, there are a number of guys that use the .224 Texas Trophy Hunter, on deer and such, with great success.  It is essentially a 6mm Remington necked down to .224, which just about duplicates the Swift/Rocket.  With Weatherby already "owning" the Rocket specifications, it would only be a matter of selecting the proper fast-twist barrel, and chambering it in the Rocket, and putting it on a Vanguard 2 action.  I would not think the semi-rim on it would be a big problem.  We'll see.  MM

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 03:45:31 PM »
20-224.Now we are talking.Maybe Jameson could pass this thread on to the higher ups.
Let's wait until Weatherby gets moved and settled. I'm sure they've got enough on their plates for the moment.
JP
What date will we be able to post suggestions to Weatherby?
Not sure. They move in June (I believe), but it will certainly take a little time to get settled. Maybe sometime toward the end of summer?
JP
Moderator Jameson Parker
www.readjamesonparker.com