Spike Camp

First Pig with Night Vision Scope

DW5

• View Profile
First Pig with Night Vision Scope
« on: March 03, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »
Got my first night vision pig last night. This was my second time to take the scope hunting, I went last weekend too, but didnít see anything. I remedied that however last Sunday by digging a hole and filling it with 25lbs of corn, half a container of Kool-Aid, half a bottle of Aunt Jemima syrup, and a gallon of water. I then covered the hole back up with dirt. I already had a sounder of pigs coming to it by Friday.

I am really impressed (especially for itís price point) with the Sightmark Photon scope. I can easily make a 100 yard shot in the dark. Also, since taking it out last weekend I realized it would be very handy to have some sort of hand held optic so I donít have to glass with the rifle scope. I did a little research and bought the Bushnell Equinox Z monocular. That thing is great too. With a full moon last night I was able to easily see deer across my fence line at well over 200 yards. It also has picture/video/audio capabilities. I am excited to see what the video of the pigs looks like.

This was also the first animal taken with the .308  H-bar Vanguard. It is a great shooter and the 150grn Nosler Accubond made short work of the pig.  All and all, a great time had last weekend and last night, and Iím really looking forward to putting the .308/scope/monocular combo to some more work!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: First Pig with Night Vision Scope
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 04:02:57 PM »
Very cool!   :)

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
Sweet.Congrats.Glad all the new toys worked up to expectations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »
That's great! It's special when a plan comes together
Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
Wheres that bait pile at. I may hit that myself. But dont shoot.
Congrats on your kill. I was just At A coyote hunting seminar where he had one of those and a night snipe light to boot. Wasnt sure why he had both but it works.
Congrats again looks like fun.
Mark

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
DW: I looked up the Equinox and it looks pretty neat.Did you get the 4.5 or 6x?
Roger

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:07:38 AM »
Congratulations on a nice pig. I had no idea you could see that far at night with nightvision. Good story too!!
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 07:43:37 AM »
Awesome, congrats DW!!!!!  The pig lure seems simple, inexpensive to make and by your success it works. 

p.s.  Where did you purchase the Equinox?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:52:00 AM by PARA45 »

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Nice ,  I've been thinking about going to Texas next year,  might be just the  equipment I need.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
DW: I looked up the Equinox and it looks pretty neat.Did you get the 4.5 or 6x?

I got the 6X. And I have nothing but good things to say so far. I will say if ALL I wanted to do with it was at distances of 85-100 yards and under, I might go with the 4.5
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:42:47 AM by DW5 »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
Awesome, congrats DW!!!!!  The pig lure seems simple, inexpensive to make and by your success it works. 

p.s.  Where did you purchase the Equinox?

Para, I bought the Equinox from a local Acadamey. If I would have been willing to wait a bit for stocking and shipping I could have gotten it for quite a bit cheaper from Midway, Iíd bet other online retailers also have it cheaper than what I paid in store.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »
Here are a couple of pics that I took with the Equinox. They are actually better quality than what you see here. This is me taking pics with my phone of a small SD card reader screen. I also have a video or 2 of the pigs coming and eating at the bait hole that Iíll try and post once I can upload to my work computer (where I store the rest of my saved trail cam pics)

this is me holding the Equinox by hand and right at 100 yards. In one you can make out a curious varmit that came to investigate early in the sit. The other is of a deer.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »
Great shot and pics.......

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
Sweet  :D
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 06:19:41 PM »
I like that you can take Picts and videos with it.Looking forward to the videos.
Roger