Spike Camp

Scope rings and bases

Wendel

Scope rings and bases
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:58:06 PM »
I mounted Leupold rings and bases on my new Mark V rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmore. The bases are #51703 with the front being dovetailed and the rear having windage adjustments. After mounting the the bases and rings, the scope was so far out of alignment that I had to use all the elevation adjustment and still wasn't on paper. I took it to the store where I purchased it and the gunsmith said that these were the correct bases and all he could do was shim the from base. He installed two shims and still used half the elevation adjustment to get close to being zero at 100 yards. I am very dissatisfied with this set up and would like someones opinion on what to do next.

badsection

Re: Scope rings and bases
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »
Welcome to the nation! Is that rifle 6 lugs? If so, the bases are probably for a 9 lug Mark V.   :)  I would suggest Talley Lightweight ring/mounts. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:15:39 PM by badsection »

Wendel

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »
Yes it is the 6 lug. I want to stay away from shims. Will the Talley mounts achieve this?

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 02:23:04 PM »
There is never a time that you need to shim bases if you have the correct ones for your rifle
A lot of members here use the Talley bases and rings

Wendel

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
Thank you, that is what I needed to know.

badsection

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
Call or email Talley to make sure you get the 6 lug ring/mounts. Their customer service is outstanding!   :)

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 05:46:05 PM »
Just get the right Leupold bases.Then your not out a set of rings too.What a DA gunsmith.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »
Just get the right Leupold bases.Then your not out a set of rings too.What a DA gunsmith.
+1 And they may not have the right bases at that store for a 6 lug rifle.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
Although I do like and have Talleys on a couple of rifles, there is one disadvantage - you're not supposed to lap aluminum rings.

Therefore, if you are going to precision mount your scope (or have it done for you), you are limited to using steel, horizontally split rings.

I have gone with Leupold Dual Dovetail rings/bases for this reason on a couple of rifles recently.
JK

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 08:49:25 PM »
I use that same setup on all my rifles some redfield bases and rings and some leupold. And never had a problem. What type of scope is it.?
I would start looking into the scope.
Mark

zonie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
Assuming the bases are correct ? It also depends on the scope and how much elevation is built in +  -  from scope center ?  Burris makes extreme tactical  signature rings that will compensate for out of spec receivers or scopes with lack of adjustment.  Goto a 20 moa base.    Should not have to shim a modern rifle in this day and age when other options are available.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 11:09:17 PM »
It aint the scope if you run out of elevation at 100 yards
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

O C hunter

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »
I use the same set up, when mounting the scope i will use Wheeler Lapping Bars before mounting scope to see how they line up. Some are ok and some are not, you would be surprised how off they can be. I have shimmed scope bases on some along with Lapping the ring's to get the points to align on the alignment bar's of the Lapping kit.   

badsection

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 04:28:31 PM »
I have never shimmed any bases as I do not use leupold bases or rings.  That much out of line is just wrong! On a rail, I use Warne rings. Anything else, I try to use Talley's   :)

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
I do bed my bases, but that is not the same as shimming