Spike Camp

Stiff safety on new weatherby mk v accumark

CHamilton

Stiff safety on new weatherby mk v accumark
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:13:18 PM »
Hey guys. I have a .257 accumark that I purchased new in 2016. I only have 50-60 rounds through the rifle, and the safety is extremely stiff when going from "fire" back to "safe". When switching from "safe" to "fire" the safety switches off with the amount of pressure you would expect. It is so hard to put back onto safe, that you have to use your index and middle finger to pull it back towards you. I have 2 other accumarks to compare it to, and this safety definitely requires more force. I have contacted weatherby, and they said that they hadn't had this come up as a common issue, and that I can send it in and have it looked at. They also said that I could try "working" the safety and maybe loosen it up.  I have tried this, but don't think it is loosening up a whole heck of a lot.  Honestly, it's not a big enough deal to me to go shipping the rifle across the country. I was looking for something more of a quick in-home fix if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing it. I have used snap caps to ensure that the safety in fact is "safe" and that it is not a concern from that standpoint.  Any ideas are appreciated

Re: Stiff safety on new weatherby mk v accumark
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
One of my Remington's had a problem similar to that and I sprayed the heck out of it with Break Free and worked the heck out of it like Weatherby suggested. After about a half an hour there was a noticeable difference and it's worked fine since then.
Doug

ctw

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »
   I had one of my accumarks do the same thing as yours. I took some wd-40 and sprayed the safety real good and made sure that the penetrating oil got down inside real good. All the while working the safety back and forth,freed right up.  And welcome aboard chamilton. ctw

CHamilton

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:28:39 AM »
Thanks guys! I’ll give that a shot, and hopefully it will loosen up a bit

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
Hope it works out CHamilton, and welcome! Hope you stick around.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »
I don't know if you know how to strip your bolt down but if you do I'd take it apart, clean the inside, and lube it with a quality oil.  It could be there's some grease inside causing it to bind up.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.