Spike Camp

What is Your Hunting "Bread and Butter?"

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: What is Your Hunting "Bread and Butter?"
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »
When I was a kid, we can dogs for deer down in the manhandle of Florida. I was known far and wide as the one to get to catch up skittish dogs. But I haven't run dogs in decades. I miss it sometimes.

Nowadays, I'm discovering a new bread and butter. I've become quite good at reading where/how deer and other wildlife will move through property. When I started hunting here in the northern Alabama area roughly two decades ago, and didn't do well the first couple of years. But I learned a bit about deer habits during those years and began to really apply it. I became successful bow hunting a large riverbottom wildlife refuge (public land) and consistently took deer off the refuge for several years. Then I got into my current hunting lease, which is mountain terrain, and required me to learn again. I've become adept at figuring out how deer and other wildlife will use the topography and cover on our mountain lease, and several of my lease partners ask me about where they're placing stands and where I'm hunting. I share some, but after getting burned a couple of times by a couple of them, not all of my knowledge. There is one lease mate with whom I share all my info, but he's unique and one of my best friends.

I may be about to change my lease again and will have the learning curve again, but it should be fun.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
Dubyam, your post reminds me of what I hope my “bread and butter” can one day be, the ability to learn well and efficiently. I hope I do something to further that goal every time out, sometimes I wonder though.

As far as hunting deer with dogs goes, I’ve done that exactly one time. I didn’t see anything and I had a blast. I was with some extended family in who live in Arkansas and they took my dad and I out one morning to show us what it was all about. I can only imagine how fun it would be to actually add a deer to the equation.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
I learned to hunt wildfowl from my dad, but he was never a deer hunter.  I read how to hunt, field dress and butcher from a book. I adapted what I read about hunting deer to hunting on a marsh from a tree stand.  I ended up hunting with 2 old guys that taught me a bit more and I drug out their deer for them.   Dragging a deer in knee deep marsh and soy bean fields wasn't always easy.    ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
I learned to hunt wildfowl from my dad, but he was never a deer hunter.  I read how to hunt, field dress and butcher from a book. I adapted what I read about hunting deer to hunting on a marsh from a tree stand.  I ended up hunting with 2 old guys that taught me a bit more and I drug out their deer for them.   Dragging a deer in knee deep marsh and soy bean fields wasn't always easy.    ;D

Nothing like paying for a fine education with a little sweat equity!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »

Nothing like paying for a fine education with a little sweat equity!

Salt water mosquitoes and green flies were the real bastards!   :)  Took the first 5 or 6 deer with a Winchester model 1200 with a modified choke and slugs. It would do a pie plate at 50 yds.  And now, if the gun isn't sub moa, it's adios!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:30:17 PM by badsection »

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
224, you are prob right about that, and being 56 years old doesn't help any either.  When I was in FL, I was still able to go down to about 25 ft, 30+ pushing it, but not deeper than that.  ;D ;D

DW, I still get anxious before opening day, and you are right, I still wait with anticipation for opening day of the following year's season. :)  I've said that the day I do not get excited about hunting, that will be the day I'll prob quit.  Nothing like being in the woods with friends & family.  Priceless moments.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
I am the researcher for new products,best prices,best times to hunt and fish and guides for hunting and fishing in new places.I think I am the money man for hunting at our homeplace in Arkansas also.LOL
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
I think I'm more of a generalist ( jack of all trades if you will ).  If I had to choose one mammal to specialize it would be Rocky Mtn Elk.  We live where they live , we watch them year round (pre scouting most of the year ) in fact this last 2 weekend my son has been out shed hunting got 8 sheds in 2 day's and the big bulls still haven't dropped in our area.  One of my other passions is big game salt water fishing i.e Tuna, Yellow Tail , Groupers, Wahoo, these types of fishes,  we are very well set up with gear, sometimes I will buy a rod blank and build my own rod with my colors , other times in my spare time I will buy an old used rod strip it and rebuild it.  Build my own gaffs, tackle boxes and lures/jigs sometimes.  I've fished the Ocean for 50 yrs  plus.  Have an 8 day long range trip set up this sept/oct out of San Diego,  one of my old boats is still in Loreto Mexico sold to a friend.  Last year got into canning Trout tastes like canned Salmon maybe a little richer tasting.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:40:23 AM by zonie »