Spike Camp

Chronograph reading a bolt but not an arrow ???

Chronograph reading a bolt but not an arrow ???
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »
A freind came over today and we were adding some limbsaver products to his string. And he wanted to shoot it thru my chronograph. We had to shoot indoors in the basement and I was worried there wouldnt be enough light to get a reading. So i set it up under a light and it read his bolt every time. He did have a red lighted nock. He has an older excalibur phonex 305 and his readings were from 282 to 298.
When I shot my mathews switchback I never got a single reading I know my bow shoots around 212. I wasnt using a lighted knock at first. But put one on and still no reading. Only diffrence is my light was green and not red. I just dont understand why I couldnt get a reading. My excuse was the Mathews was just to Fast lol.
Any Thoughts as to why ?
Mark

Re: Chronograph reading a bolt but not an arrow ???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »
I would try it outside. Not knowing this chrono, it may not read slower arrows?  :)

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »
Sorry I should have mentioned. Shooting outside at my new house is not an option. Houses in every direction.
Mark

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
Shoot at your own house?

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »
Not sure what kind of chronograph you have. It's possible it read the bolts because of the shorter length. An arrow could be passing over both chronograph sensors at the same time. That could explain the lack of reading. I'm asssuming the Mathews is a compound bow not a crossbow. Just theory.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 04:23:09 PM »
Agree change lighting,  some chronographs have accessory infrared screens.  I have a hard time with my very old Pact model 1 if I do not get the lighting right.   I generally try to shoot 3 or 4 inches directly above the sensors.  Mine has no problem with regular bullets,  arrows, pellets, shotgun shot, muzzleloaders,  etc. as long as I get the lighting right.   If the lighting is wrong rather than change shooting directions and resetting targets,  I keep an old pillow case and tape it across the screens on one side or the other,  to shade the sensors.  Usually when this happens one sensor may be getting direct sunlight and the other sensor is fully or partially shaded. 

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
Yes im shooting in my own basement. Im using a prochrono digltal chronograph. It works fine for my bow outdoors . But just messing around in the basement. It wouldnt read the longer slower arrow. But would read the bolt. In poor lighting the  arrow passing over both sensors at the same time makes sense to me.
Mark

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »
perhaps arrow too long to accurately read? ie., a 2 foot arrow vs. a 1inch bullet.