Spike Camp

Leupold Scopes Recommendation?

Leupold Scopes Recommendation?
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:41:37 AM »
I'm looking for a new scope for my Ruger M77 in 270 WIN. I'd decided on a VX-2, but it seems Leupold doesn't make those anymore. Does anyone have experience with the Rifleman series or VX-3i? If I'm not mistaken, those are the closest to the VX-2 in quality/price.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Re: Leupold Scopes Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
I have both. A 3-9x40 rifleman and a VX3i 3.5-10x40 and another with a 50mm objective lens. The rifleman is a quality scope with good glass. I have one on a spare/loaner rifle a Mossberg Patriot in .300 win mag. I also purchased one for a nephew for his .270 Savage. It is comparable or better than other makes that cost $250. Just to be fair, the Nikon scopes in the same price range has a little better, clear, low light glass. The least expensive of the Leupold line, the Rifleman, is still a Leupold and that means superb customer service and is as tough and dependable as they come. They have a great warranty.

The VX3i is, my opinion, optically perfect with clear edge to edge glass. They also have the Twilight multi-coated lenses that really performs in the lowlight periods of dusk and dawn.
If you hunt early and stay late and your maximum shooting distance is 300-350 yards for deer and coyotes, Leupold VX3i has the heavy duplex  which I find superb in lowlight. I have the heavy duplex on my VX3i 3.5-10x50mm.
I donít own the higher end Leupolds, $600 and up, so I canít opine on them.
I do have a couple Nikons $150-$200 scopes on a .22 and 30-06. They are really good scopes for the money. I also have a Zeiss, Minox and a Schmidt-Bender. They are much clearer, brighter and a wider magnification range, such as 5-25x50, but also cost 3 to 6 times more than the VX3i.
I have a VX3i in 3.5-10x40mm with the standard duplex reticle that I bought last September. It was mounted on a rifle for a couple weeks and then removed without ever using it. It has very light ring marks on it but other then that, is basically brand new. Iím willing to sell it for $280 including shipping anywhere in the USA except to Alaska or Hawaii. I found a deal on a VX3i 4.5-14x40 and replaced the lower power Leupold and put it back in its original box. Send me an email if you want it. bigstreamers1@gmail.com
If anyone else is interested let me know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:45:18 AM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
Sending email
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
Nation members helping each other out, canít beat that!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »
+1
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 02:40:26 AM »
Sold to cbloom20.  Now, what do I need......... Never mind with what I need, what do I want........
A down payment on a .224 Wby?

P.S. what specie of animal is the rug pictured in your avatar? Here are my guesses.
1. Indian Blackbuck
2. Kudu
3. African Antelope
4. Your neighbors gurnsey cow
5. The neighbor on the other side Hereford
6. The extinct dark phase giant Jackalope
7. The world record, Sahara desert, pine squirrel
8. None of the above
I have a tanned gerbil/armadillo cross bred and cloned 12x22 foot rug I would trade for it. Iíll even throw in a box of fifty .22 long rifle, once fired brass, to sweeten the pot.
I also have the verified, carbon dated, flute used by the original Pied Piper and the last rat that drowned.
 I know Iím being way over-generous, but thatís the kind of person I am.......
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:25:24 AM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »
Pardon my attempt at humor, Iíve been this way forever. I guess my parents didnít beat me enough as a child........I was too fast on my feet. I think I have the record for fleeing from a stationary position of sitting on the couch to up and out the back door.
My brother and I tease each other and friends and relatives too. We were brought up not to lie and if we did own up to a mischievous deed, we were not disciplined harshly if we would only tell our parents the truth. We would have to own up to it, take responsibility, and would be told how we dishonored the family. They would let us know we disappointed them. That hurt a hell of a lot more than being grounded and some privilege taken away or more often than not, we would be required to do extra chores or help a relative or neighbor with some physical labor and not accept a penny or if they insisted, we would have to give any money to the church or someone less fortunate and without them knowing about it or who did it. We would put the money in a envelope and sneak it in their mailbox or in between their entry doors when they werenít home. Give the money to the local general store and when they would try to pay, the owner would tell them they had a credit.
Because we would pull someoneís leg and it would get back to our mother, in her mind, that was lying. We would try to rationalize it and tell her if you tell a story so outlandish and unbelievable, it wasnít a lie. It was only a lie if the people believed it. If we saw that the person was actually believing it, we would apologize and tell them we were just pulling their leg.
When we were in our 20ís and 30ís and at a family reunion or wedding when people sat down and visited with our mother, as with most families they would ask about the family and what each of the kids were doing, the first thing mom would do was to tell them ď if you see Joel and Johnny together, donít believe a word they say. Theyíll lie to you about everythingĒ.
She just didnít understand the difference between really lying, which makes you feel guilty immediately, and just pulling your leg. To her it was wrong and disappointed her. Well, 20 years after mom and dad have gone, I guess Iím still disappointing them.
You know it doesnít bother me one bit. I canít help it.  I just find it too humorous and actually, really enjoyable.
 I know when itís my time to go,theyíll be waiting for me at the gate and Iím positive she will want God to explain to me and reprimand me for all my lying.........to her a lie was a lie. I tend to believe God will forgive me. Iím pretty sure he has a sense of humor. He has to. Look how he made a giraffe look like or a warthog. Now thatís funny.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:14:49 AM by Michiganhunter »

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
The skin is a tanned cow hide, but I honestly couldn't tell you what kind of cow. My wife and I saw it in a mom & pop shop and thought it'd look good in our house. Turns out we were right!

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 02:21:45 PM »
I have 2 of the original VX-3ís and 2 of the newer VX-3iís. I havenít noticed any difference in function, tracking, or qualitiy in the VX-3i compared to the VX-3. I would highly recommend them as a hunting scope.