Spike Camp

LongHorn Bull

BB340

• View Profile
LongHorn Bull
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
Just returned from a hunt for a Longhorn bull in QLD Australia. And to say I was lucky was an understatement!
This bull took quite a effort to get. My outfitter went out the day before to locate the whereabouts it was hanging out. So when we went out the next day on my quad it may be quicker to find. We rode around for about two hours before we found him and the other smaller bulls that run wild on this 10,000 acre property. They were feeding in a small clearing on the side of a steep hill surrounded by thick bush. As soon as the big bull heard my ATV noise he straight away headed down into the thick stuff. So we thought that if road down a bit further it would push him out and give me a shot.. So we spent the next hour or two trying to glass him in the bush on the downhill side where we thought they went. After that my outfitter Pete stalked back up to the top and found them hiding up in the thickest most impenetrable scrub one could imagine! How it managed to get in there with those horns we don't know. The cunning bugger lead us to believe he was walking downhill but doubled back on his tracks and headed up instead. So the wait began... As the day warmed up a bit he must of got thirsty or something and tried to sneak down to a dam at the edge of the scrub. But we were ready for him and at 202 meters I planted a 300grn Woodleigh PPSN reload from my MKV DGR .375 H&H right on the point of his shoulder. He stumbled at the shot, took another step and collapsed.   
Aussie gun nut.

Re: LongHorn Bull
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »
Whoa!!! Now that is some spread BB.He must have had to turn his head sideways to get thru the thick stuff. Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:56:51 PM »
Congrats BB, That'll make a great mount. (if you can scrounge up about 8 ft of empty space left on your trophy wall Lol.) What kind of exit wound did you have? Bet you'll get a lot of burgers and steaks out of that big boy.
DosEquisShooter

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »
What a bull!!!  Looking at the bull on the front of your quad, the thickness of its skull plate is something else. The width of that bulls horns is impressive, to say the least. I have a ton of questions for you, BB340. I had no idea that you guys down under, somehow sneaked your way into Texas and rustled a few and sailed back to Australia.
First of all, I have never been to your country, though I have always wanted to go. My image of Australia, and probably that of a great deal of others, is dry, dusty, desert like terrain with little grass, interspersed with scrub brush and populated by millions of kangaroos and wallaby with Dingos that look like my neighbors dog. It looks like a mix of a shorthair shepherd and a yellow lab.
I figured there would be some vegetation along the few crocodile infested waterways leading to the salty ocean. I did not expect so much bright green foliage and super thick bush.
How long have the longhorns been there? Are they wild, free range bulls like your huge water buffalo? How heavy do they get? What is the spread on those massive bull horns?
What other species of both small and big game do you hunt? Do you hunt from a lodge or camp out in the bush? How do you hunt for them? Are they dangerous like the buffalo?
I could go on with all the questions I have but maybe you could give us an idea of a what a typical hunt is like. The species that can be pursued, the guns you carry, is it like an African safari with a variety of animals that might be available, the terrain you hunt and the challenges we might expect to encounter and those little details that make up the hunt,etc... You’re a hunter. You understand what we want to know, what to write so we can be there and hunt vicariously through you and allow is to read about those adventures down under.
I know I would love to hear about hunting a country we have all thought about but never had the chance to go,
Great trophy BB340

If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
Great bull. Great story. Congratulations.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:10:58 PM »
Holy cow BB! (pun intended) How much meat is coming off that fella and what all are you gonna have done with it? Now you got me wondering about the difference between what wild and domestic beef tastes like. Me and a couple of buddies always joke around about how we wish we had a feral cattle problem instead of hogs, you actually do!  Can’t wait to see what do do with the horns. I know plenty of folks around here in Texas that have a set of Longhorn horns but none that got them by hunting the animal with a Mark V, congrats!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
Congrats BB, That'll make a great mount. (if you can scrounge up about 8 ft of empty space left on your trophy wall Lol.) What kind of exit wound did you have? Bet you'll get a lot of burgers and steaks out of that big boy.

The bullet didn't exit actually Danno. It busted his shoulder, took out lungs and we couldn't find where it ended up. Yes I took as much of the choice cuts for steaks and the outfitter is using the rest to feed some other hunters.
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
Well you will have to stick with me on this one as it will be a rather long post to answer michiganhunter's questions. I will try my best to answer them...
There are quite a few people breeding longhorns down here. My mate bought some just for the heck of it. However they are very rarely seen for hunting. This property bought and released some quite a few years ago with the sole intention of them to be hunted. They aren't roaming around in great number like our buffalo in the N.T. In fact  I haven't seen them advertised anywhere else.
The terrain here in Australia is as diverse as it is in the US. We have great areas of desert and rough harsh country that takes up most of inland Australia. But we also have areas of great snowy peaks with harsh winter conditions. Then you could head to the hot and humid tropics of Northern Australia and down to the subalpine regions of Victoria. Where I live is a mixer of cold winter and hot summers and the countryside is that of low rolling hills that lead into steep mountainous ranges. Where I hunted this longhorn in the lower area of Queensland it is made up of similar hills but has much thicker denser scrub. They had just had a great amount of rainfall in that area so it was very green and plenty of feed about.
And yes you are right there are millions of Kangaroos spread across this country. Although impossible to count one survey put it at a conservative 44,000,000.
The main species that gets hunted by everyday people are rabbits, foxes, ducks, hares, wild dogs (dingoes), goats, pigs, 6 main deer species, hog, fallow, rusa, chital (axis) and sambar. Then we have the big water buffalo, banteng, scrub bulls, camels, wild donkeys and wild horses. We then also have a variety of Exotic game that some people game farm. A couple of examples are what I have shot the blackbuck and Scimitar Horned Oryx. 
Hunting these critters could be as simple as just driving around on private property and taking what shows up or one could get the services of a guided hunt. Then it could be anywhere from a swag thrown on the ground by a fire to a luxury 5 star hunting lodge.
One could encounter any number of different animals while hunting. For example on this Longhorn hunt I was also on the lookout for a Red Deer Stag and wild dog. But the Roar hadn't started yet and so we didn't see any stags. The wildlife here is rather interspersed and one can quite easily take a mixed bag of critters. On the properties I hunt there could be rabbits, foxes, goats pigs and the occasional deer. All the animals I listed are classed as feral so can be hunted year round by any means you can. With the exception of deer and each state has its own rules and regulations on them.
My last hunt I had up in the Northern Territory I took buffalo, scrub bulls, Scimitar horned oryx and pigs. This hunt was out of a lodge with ones own private room and ensuite shower. We drove around in a hunting truck, but I chose to ride my quad runner. Then when an animal was spotted it would be stalked and hopefully taken cleanly.
The guns we use down here are majorly bolt actions but may also be lever, pump, single shot etc. The average hunter can only have these types of rifles but then there are many who can get licensed to own a semi auto rimfire and semi auto shotgun. Plus some who can get semi auto centerfires but they are quite strictly governed.
Not sure what else to say... Australia is quite the hunters paradise. We don't have many restrictions on what to hunt and contrary to popular belief are gun laws are not as strict as people think. Although I'd love it if they were less so too.
Anyway I will have to leave it there as I must go and clean some rifles.
feel free to ask anymore questions and I will try to answer them as best my ability.
Cheers guys,
Brett       
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Sounds like a great land BB. Thanks for all the info.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
Holy cow BB! (pun intended) How much meat is coming off that fella and what all are you gonna have done with it? Now you got me wondering about the difference between what wild and domestic beef tastes like. Me and a couple of buddies always joke around about how we wish we had a feral cattle problem instead of hogs, you actually do!  Can’t wait to see what do do with the horns. I know plenty of folks around here in Texas that have a set of Longhorn horns but none that got them by hunting the animal with a Mark V, congrats!

Thanks DW. I have taken the best cuts for steaks and the outfitter will do the rest up as steaks, sausages, corned beef etc. Yes we have plenty of wild cattle down here. We call them scrub bulls or clean skins. They can and are cunning and dangerous buggers. I love hunting them.
I will be having this Longhorn shoulder mounted and maybe done as a pedestal mount with a Texas type them on the base. You know cacti and tumbleweeds lol
Aussie gun nut.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
Quote from BB:I will be having this Longhorn shoulder mounted and maybe done as a pedestal mount with a Texas type them on the base. You know cacti and tumbleweeds lol
Thats a good idea Brett, just remember, if you do the cacti, be sure they have red prickly pears on them or it won't be Texas authentic lol.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »
awesome trophy Brett  8)

Rob

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »
Absolutely enjoyable, extremely informative and a PHD in geography and hunting Australia. Thank you for “painting a picture” for us who might never have the chance to experience it firsthand except through your eyes.

I am really interested if you have any large predators that were intentionally released, or not. It is certainly possible someone else thought to try it. It appears African species that eat meat would thrive in such a diverse landscape. Great information disseminated, great reading and your post is an escape to another land many of us cannot go to. Thank you Brett, and for myself and the many members of our Weatherby Nation, I hope you continue to post more. I know I would really enjoy it if other Nation members from others countries would tells us about hunts and hunting opportunities from their neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:31:18 PM by Michiganhunter »

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
Yep for sure they will be the red prickly pears on them Danno. We have them down here too.

Michiganhunter, no we don't have any big predators down here. Well except for the crocs lol. We do have wild dogs, not the dingo but dogs that have breed with dingos and throughout the years most of the dingo has been breed out and you are left with a mixture of all sorts of domestic dog breeds. Mainly German Shepard type looking things. They are big and mean. They will decimate a farmers flock of sheep in a night. Wild dogs are a real problem here.

Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
Congratulations on your bull
This sounds like a great place to visit and maybe hunt
Is it mostly private or is there good hunting on public land also?