Spike Camp

Does Lapua brass always come half buffed like this?

Does Lapua brass always come half buffed like this?
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
I bought a box of a hundred .223 lapua match brass. And just seemed odd that the top portition and neck are not polished. Just wondering if this is how it always comes new. Or did this batch miss a step in the process. ?
Mark

fuonlynu

Re: Does Lapua brass always come half buffed like this?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »
The annealing does that.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »
annealing process?

Oh someone already replied...yes it's normal.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »
+3. Mark:From my experiences Lapua brass is thicker than most.I can't run as much powder in their brass as others without pressure problems.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:53:16 PM »
Gotya. Thank you
I always start the new season with new brass. And have always used Remington. Never noticed that much of a diffrence before. Trying to up my game this year with Lapua brass and Rem. 7 1/2 benchrest primers.
Thanks again.
And Roger I will check for preasure problems in a test batch. Who knows with the thicker case it may fill the case better and help close down the group. Just thinking positive. Lol
Mark

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:17:47 PM »
Yes, Lapua brass tends to be a little thicker and just as the previous responses indicate, the discoloration is from neck annealing. It doesn't hurt anything, but if you're desperate for entertainment, you can tumble and polish them.
JK

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
That is some excellent brass you have there.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
+3. Mark:From my experiences Lapua brass is thicker than most.I can't run as much powder in their brass as others without pressure problems.

When you reduced your load did you ever check it for  velocity compared to your normal loads?

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »
Im not going to reduce the load. Because I only use 24 gr. Of Benchmark with A 53 gr. Sierra Match bullet. It is at or below the min. Load to begin with. We only shoot 100 yards in our matches. So I try and keep the velocity down to save barrel life.
I was only saying if lapua brass has thicker walls it should fill the case more which a fuller case tends to be more accurate.
But I will chronigraph them and see if there is any diffrence in velocity.
Mark