Savage Axis
1 (4.8%)
Other
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Best of the "Value" Rifles?

Best of the "Value" Rifles?
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
Anybody on here ever try out a Winchester XPR?
My house is pretty much filled with Weatherbys, however it doesn't stop me from paying attention to all the others on the market and just lately I've been closely paying attention to the "cheap/bargain" rifles when I walk into a gun shop of sorts, I've been handling/shouldering, etc a bunch of the Ruger American, Savage Axis, Browning A Bolt 3, and Remington 783's, etc. I do not include the Vanguards in that list because I feel they are very much ahead of those others mentioned and are much more on par with the flagship line of most rifle companies even though they are Weatherby's "value" line.

I'm sure they all are pretty decent rifles for what you pay, and know several guys that love their Ruger Americans, and Savage Axis, however in my opinion, the Winchester XPR would without a doubt be the one I spent money on if I were any of them, the fit/finish, trigger, bolt lift/smoothness, trigger, and three positon safety all seem like quite a deal for what you can pick these things up for. The Ruger Americans would probably be my second choice if they finished off the stock a bit better, its almost "sharp" up along the barrel channel and would think they could figure out a way to finish it off a bit better for not much more $$.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has shot a XPR and what they thought of it? Seems to me like the best of the "value" world, plus I wanted to play with the poll option on here.

badsection

Re: Best of the "Value" Rifles?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
I have 2 T/C Compass rifles, both are sub moa for under $300!   :)

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »
My nephew in law purchased one in .300 win mag about a year ago. I was able to shoot it a couple different times. He found 180 gr Winchester silvertips the most accurate. Three shot groups at 200 yards were just under an inch. I had the first 2 shots almost in the same hole. We actually stopped and walked to the target to check it out. From the bench looking through my 15 power binos I couldn’t tell if it shot in the same hole or if I missed the target completely.
The rifle stock does feel cheap but the accuracy more than made up for that. I could recommend the rifle as a inexpensive gun with great accuracy. I shot a few of my HSM 210gr VLD’s and those grouped about 1-1/2” at 200 yards. An accurate rifle for well under $500.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »
I don't have any of them but know some that have the Ruger Americans and they have all been excellent shooters.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

badsection

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »
BTW, I had a Axis for a short time. It was barely under 2moa. with one load and considerably worse with others.  :)

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
I had a Savage axis and I couldn’t find a factory bought load(I don’t reload) that would group less than 6 inches. I had a gunsmith check it out and he said to return it. I did. About 2 weeks later Savage called me and told where to pick up my rifle. I went to the gun shop and there was a brand new rifle waiting for me with 2 boxes of ammo. They sent the target they had used with the brand of ammo they sighted it in with. A 5 shot group of .67” at 100 yards. I eventually gifted it to a friend who uses it for deer and elk hunting. He shoots probably 100 rounds a month with that rifle at targets out to 400 yards. His favorite targets are plastic milk jugs with red colored water. He’s in his mid 70’s and shooting that rifle is his favorite pastime.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:50:46 PM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
Just save a little longer and get a Weatherby Vanguard! Entry level VG's are not that pricey, really. Then there's no crapshoot to gamble on.
Come and take it.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
I love my Ruger American 7mm-08. 

I also have one you didn't mention the Mossberg patriot in 270. I bought it on a whim because it a was a factory demo and it's a solid gun also. Can get sub MOA all day with my reloads.

There are great deals on the T/C compass right now also and I know they shoot good also.

Never tried (or know anyone that has tried) the XPR.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:12:30 PM »
I'd have a hard time buying any of them and passing on some sort of Weatherby, was just curious on everyone's thoughts? Had a Winchester XPR in my hand the other day in 300 Win Mag with a 26" Barrel and it was on sale for just a shade over $400 and it just seemed like about the nicest "Value" rifle I'd had in my hands, nice short bolt lift, trigger was great, had the ability to run the Bolt with safety on and the stock seemed a lot more refined then some of the others in its class.

badsection

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »
My thought on buying both T/C Compasses was purely to have rifles I don't mind getting beat up in the typical jungle I hunt in. Since they are fairly lightweight rifles, I would advise recoil sensitive people to pick less kicking rounds. The 300 win mag has a stout recoil.   ;D

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
A son hunts with a Ruger American in 308 Winchester. He is not a hard-core hunter, in fact he fits whatever kind of definition there is for someone who shows up at the right time and bags a buck. His Ruger likes the 165gn Federal load. Its hard to argue with the guy who nails a big buck on a foggy day.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 03:42:51 PM »
I sell all of the brands mentioned here and I wouldn't put the XPR or the AB3 in the same (group) as the Axis, American, 783 or the Patriot (Mossberg) which wasn't included.

The fit/finish/quality on the XPR and AB3 is more on par with a Savage 11/111 then other entry level models.

I have shot all of them and do own an Axis (223 I use for coyote). My hunting partner shoots a 783 for deer.

They are all sub-moa accurate. It doesn't cost anything to make "accuracy" anymore. The cost is for the finish and materials.

The 783 looks like they used a beaver with tungsten teeth to do the millwork - it's just plain ugly. But they hold well and and you can take out quarters with it at 100 yards - the same can be said for the rest of them if you find the load they like. A company up in Canada, Mystic Precision, is building long range target rifles on the 783 action because they found them "that good" and at a cost that opens the sport to those with thinner wallets.

Out of all the entry level guns (excluding the Winchester and Browning) I personally find the Mossberg Patriot to be the overall best value for the money. A wood stocked model is the same price as the plastic competitors. The bolt is smoother and fluted and the barrel is fluted as well - ok, mostly cosmetic but you have to drop many more bucks on (better) models to find that in other brands. The fit/finish is also the best out of the bunch.

I dislike the synthetic American's. The molding on the stock is so poorly finished that we have actually gotten cuts on our hands because of the sharp edges on the barrel channel. Ok, it can be knocked down with a bit of emery paper but if they let it leave the factory like that I wonder what else they don't care about.

The XPR and AB3 is not in the same group as the others. The bolts are smoother, the fit and finish far superior and the metal work is considerably better finished. But that is reflected in the price. I sell a scoped Axis II for the same price as a bare XPR or AB3 - so even with cheap glass and mounts they are a "wrung up" on the pricepoint scale which keeps them from selling as an "entry level" rifle.

I had a bad personal experience with Winchester (Pre-FN days) so I won't own one. But I did do some shooting with an XPR Hunter (wood stocked 2017 Shot Show special) and it almost changed my mind about owning one. The fit/finish/feel in hand was excellent. It balanced well. It shot as well as anything else that I shoot. Just an excellent rifle, especially since it doesn't have that (irritating) safety on the bolt like the typical Winchester.

The XPR is basically just an AB3 with Winchester tags instead of Browning. Either of them could be considered an entry level gun that you wouldn't see a great need to replace down the road...
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

badsection

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »
For under $300, I don't care about fit, finish, stock or even the trigger. I expect that with considerably more expensive rifles. Accurate enough to be sub moa at that price point is incredible to me.  10 years ago, that meant a rifle costing closer to 3X as much.    ;D