Spike Camp

6.5-300

mcmurder77

6.5-300
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:04:28 AM »
I’m buying a 6.5-300 and wanted to do some load testing to see what was going to group beat out of my rifle. Without spending $300 on ammo does anyone know how I may be able to do that? I do not currently reload, but I am looking hard at starting here shortly. But I’m the meantime does anyone have any ideas?

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
Re: 6.5-300
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
I own the 6.5-.300 ULW with the lightest contour fluted barrel. The factory select plus ammo with the Barnes LRX 127 gr., the scirocco 130 gr and 140 gr A frame the cost is between $74-$100 per box. Expensive. The less expensive Select is still $50+ per box. If you check out all the posts here you will see that the Barnes Lrx 127 gr has shown to have the best accuracy. My rifle shoots 1/2” 3 shot groups with the 127gr LRX. I have tried the 140 gr A frame ammo and they shoot just under 1”.
My suggestion is to buy the Barnes 127 gr. first and shoot a couple 3 shot groups, letting the barrel cool down between each shot. If it shoots under an inch, stop your search and go with them. This bullet will take down everything from antelope to elk. If you really spend the time researching this caliber, as I have, you will find this bullet as the most recommended.
Research and verify what I have said here and then come to your own conclusion. Weatherby shot my rifle and the 127 gr Barnes is what they told me to shoot. I am not sure if they tried other bullets, but I have enough common sense to take the advice of experts that know a heck of a lot more than I do. I picked up a box of the Barnes LRX from a local Weatherby approved service center gun shop and when I shot my rifle I was convinced this is what my rifle liked. I went back to the store and purchased 3 more boxes with the same lot number to assure myself that each bullet that left my barrel would be just as accurate. I now have enough rounds to last me a long time and gave me complete confidence in my rifle’s ability to place a bullet in the same place I aim each and every time I pull the trigger.
I now have what each and every hunter I know strives for. Confidence.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:28:22 AM by Michiganhunter »
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
+1 to what Michiganhunter said.  You'll spend way too much money on reloading equipment, and learning to reload on a caliber like this one.  Buy a box, and go from there.  Also, you can always sell the brass, and get some money back.

BTW, welcome to the Nation, and post pictures of your rifle when you get it.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »
If you try out the Weatherby 140 grain SP’s please give a report. I have been wanting to hear from someone that has tried it. By far the 127 grain Barnes LRX has been the most accurate that I have tried. I would be willing to accept a little larger groups for this ammo being cheaper.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »
I have a 6.5-300 Mk V Dlx that I purchased during the Weatherby "free ammo" promotion.  I purchased some 127gr Barnes and received two free boxes of 130gr Swift Scirocco.  Don't ask me how but, my rifle will print both identically.  CRAZY!!!  I can head out the door and pick up either box, knowing that they will hit where I point it.  Never tried the 140gr.  Never had to. 

mcmurder77

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
Well I will for sure start off with the 127gr’s then. It sounds like those and the 130’s seem to be the favorites, at least from the research I have been able to do.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
Weatherby also has the Select Plus with the 140 Berger VLD’s. I have been using these explosive bullets in some of my Rifles specifically when hunting whitetails and Antelope. I love how they drop these animals in their tracks. No searching for a deer that might end up on a neighbors property. Getting permission is never an issue. I just don’t want to be walking on their property pushing other deer out of areas like bedding/ sanctuary spots that we always stay out of to give the deer places they are unmolested and never disturbed. My neighbor farmers whose land is next to mine have an unwritten agreement to not hunt or set up a shack within 100 yards of the fence line. This has been going on for at least 50 years.
So, I use the VLD’s to drop the deer and prevent crossing fence lines.
Even though I am sold on the 127 gr Barnes for my 6.5-300 Wby I am going to buy a box of 140 VLD’s just to see if they shoot moa in my rifle. When I hunt Michigan whitetails at my place, I am in a shack and my shooting areas and lanes allow me,99% of the time, to wait for a broadside shot. The VLD’s placed behind the shoulder assures me it will just drop.
When I hunt Antelope I am also able to wait for a perfect shot opportunity. I use the 115 gr VLD in my .257 Wby & 25-06. On whitetails the 210 gr VLD in a .300 Wby .300 win mag and 168 gr VLD for my .30-06.
Last year, the first year I owned the 6.5-300 ULW, I used the 127 gr Barnes to shoot my buck and doe. It was a new rifle caliber so I wanted to shoot it as much as possible. They also dropped in their tracks. The doe was a head shot and buck a neck quartering towards me shot.
On mule deer out west where I might jump a buck I will only use the 127 gr Barnes and also on elk because I want as much penetration as possible.
So, I will buy a box of these factory 140 gr VLD’s and see how they shoot. I will let you know how they group.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
I have a 6.5-300 Mk V Dlx that I purchased during the Weatherby "free ammo" promotion.  I purchased some 127gr Barnes and received two free boxes of 130gr Swift Scirocco.  Don't ask me how but, my rifle will print both identically.  CRAZY!!!  I can head out the door and pick up either box, knowing that they will hit where I point it.  Never tried the 140gr.  Never had to. 
Glad to hear someone had some luck with the 130 Sciroccos, they were all over the map in both my ULW and Dads Accumark.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
I do not own a 6.5-300 Wby but have been reading everything about them and it is strange how the majority of the rifles don't shoot the 130grn Scirocco accurately. That projectile in renowned for it accuracy. I use it in my 6.5x65 RWS and it is extremely accurate. Often printing one hole groups.
Aussie gun nut.

Michiganhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
You should look at any 6.5-300 posts from member Oregonmarkv
He is one of the members that knows what he is talking about. Compared to me, he is more knowledgeable about ammo and bullet construction, weight, performance on game, etc.... He is a logical and pragmatic thinker. I pay attention to his opinions because he comes to logical conclusions based on real life experience and suggests fact based solutions. Not speculations based on emotion, hearsay or the many wise and all knowing “experts” found somewhere on the Internet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:00:06 PM by Michiganhunter »