Spike Camp

Gilfriend won a Camilia

rdubya

Gilfriend won a Camilia
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
I took my girlfriend to the Friends of the NRA dinner last Sat.  She won a Weatherby Vanguard Camilia in 7mm-08.
She shoots trap and skeet but not much of a rifle/pistol shooter, hopefully this will change her mind.
I know nothing about the caliber but have been reading a lot since Sat.
Hopefully the folks here can shed some information our way about ammo choices, optics and so forth.
Thanks in advance

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Gilfriend won a Camilia
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
Wow congrats on winning a great rifle. I have that exact rifle too. I bought it for my girlfriend and then decided I liked it too much so kept it for myself and bought her another one lol.
I popped a 4-12x42 Burris on it and it shoots great. I am yet to reload any ammo for the Camilla and have just used the 140 grain Remington Corelokt factory ammo thru her with great results on feral goats and pigs down here in Australia.
I do however load the 130 grain Speer SP in my Tikka T3 7mm-08. That projectile is deadly accurate and great on pigs and goats. I can't remember of by heart what powder charge I am using though.
You will both love the Camilla as they are a great little rifle that handle and shoulder really well, even for men lol  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

Michiganhunter

• Honor is the gift you give to yourself
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »
Congratulations and I hope she will enjoy shooting the rifle.
If you are arguing with an idiot and someone passes by, they don't know who's the idiot.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
Tell her congratulations
The 7mm08 is a good caliber. Anything in the 140 to 160 range that shoots good out of your rifle should work for deer sized game.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
I am glad someone is lucky. ;D Congrats.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:17:19 AM »
The 7mm-08 is an awesome little caliber. Almost like a faster flatter shooting 308.

If you reload 120gr Sierra Prohunters are excellent for whitetail. I've had great results with them over H4895 or IMR 4064

If you want a beefier bullet the Sierra Gameking Hollow Point Boat Tail shoots good also. I just started playing with this load and have no experience on game yet.

Like .257 said about anything 140-160gr will be good for anything up to elk size game.

For factory loads the 140gr Remington Core Lokt and Federal Fusions are very good also. Just saw that HSM is serving them up with 140gr Sierra GameKings soft points, no experience with that manufacturer though.

Congrats to your girlfriend! I think she'll be pleased with it.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
Congratulations to your girlfriend for winning a Wby Camilla at the NRA dinner. Is she a member of the NRA? Being that she's a trap and skeet shooter, the recoil should be within the range she's already comfortable with, and the Camilla was the first rifle ever built exclusively for women, but men love the rifle also. You may have a new hunting partner this deer season.

DosEquisShooter

rdubya

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 10:37:21 AM »
We, she did the paperwork Friday and because she lives in the PRK (people's republik of Kalifornia) won't get to pick it up until 4-3.  Starting to look for rings/mount and optics.  Got a great deal on 10 boxes of Federal and Remington 120 and 140 grain ammo.  We'll see what the gun likes and at least have some brass to reload with.
I've shot a lot of 308 and heavier calibers and 223, 22-250 but I'm unfamiliar with this cal.  What is the recoil like?  She shoots her 20 gauge very well is the 7mm 08 simular?

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
If she's fine with a 20ga she will be fine with a 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 seems to have less felt recoil to me. It's like a low recoil 308

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »
My girlfriend is only small and she shoots my Camilla 7mm-08 just fine. Yours will be right.
Aussie gun nut.

rdubya

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 10:42:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply`s, yes she is an NRA member and a good shotgun shooter.  She has several rifles but isn't really a rifle shooter guess that's going to change now.
We're thinking of a 3×9 Leopold for optics for now and a fair amount of paper punching to get her comfortable.  She'll start with 22 move up to 223 and whatever she needs for now.
I'll get her to post to keep you all updated.
Again thanks