Spike Camp

Mark V or Vanguard?

Mark V or Vanguard?
« on: March 25, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
Hello all,

Iíve decided to purchase my first Weatherby. I hunt mostly whitetail in the Adirondacks so Iíve decided to go with 30-06 due to the availability and versatility. Iím trying to decide between the Mark V ultra lightweight and the Vanguard First Lite. Any recommendations?

BB340

• View Profile
Re: Mark V or Vanguard?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
Hands down get the Mark V if you can. Ain't no better rifle than a Weatherby Mark V  ;D
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
There is a lot of value with all the features on the First Lite. It would be my choice.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
You wont go wrong with either one.
Mike

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
You wont go wrong with either one.
X2. The only change I'd make is I would go for the 257 over the 30/06 if you hunting whitetail. Great caliber

galamb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:17:39 PM »
This kinda question is like asking should I buy a Lexus or a Toyota to drive to work.

Both are from the same company, both are well made products. It comes down to how much you are willing to pay to drive (or shoot) in style...

A MK 5 will not "outshoot" a Vanguard. It may not last longer. But the attention to detail, fit, finish and (status) is greater.

Only you can decide if it is worth the extra bucks given your stated purpose.
Graham
R.C.A.F (Retired)
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North EH!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
Good analogy
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
I have both and like both. I know that wonít help you much.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:18 PM »
The First Lite and the Ultra Lightweight are both great looking rifles and normally I'd choose the Mark V. With the limited choice though, this time I'd pick the First Lite, just not a fan of the #1 contour.
DosEquisShooter

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 05:44:46 AM »
Either, for the Adirondacks, would be a good choice. The Mark V is $1,210. more than the Vanguard (list) but weighs 5 3/4 pounds to the Vanguard's 7 1/2.

Give the edge to the Mark V if you're carrying the rifle around a good deal of the day but to the heavier Vanguard if not. (It would minimize felt recoil a tad better)

Congrats on your first post here - I'm a newbie as well!

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »
Another newbie here. I went with the weathermark at 6 1/4 lbs for Catskill Mountain deer. Ultra light weights felt whippy to me. Coming from a 700 BDL that just celebrated a 40th B Day.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 08:49:02 AM »
Canít afford the true Weatherby,,,Iíve got several gen 2 Vanguardís ,,,that I out shoot everyone at the range ,,their solid and accurate ,,so that my opinion
LIL JOE

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »
I still think the Vanguard First Lite is the way to go. Your getting a 30-06 with a muzzle brake, which can be removed if you don't want the extra 2" or the additional noise factor. (we all wear ear plugs at the range, but its equally important to wear hearing protection when we hunt, because medical evidence shows hearing loss with every unprotected shot) However, the muzzle brake will reduce recoil which will likely increase your accuracy because of various factors. In addition, the #2 contour of the Vanguard First Lite barrel will not heat up as fast as the #1 contour of the Mark V Ultra Lite. The Mark V also has a 22" barrel which will result in a bit of velocity loss, but that velocity loss will not affect its killing capability. Lastly, a comfortable rifle sling can help tremendously while carrying that extra 1 3/4 lb weight of the Vanguard. Additionally there a several back packs that are desigined with built in rifle holders that would help distribute weight and not be on your shoulder. These back packs are pretty inexpensive as back packs go.   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 06:33:21 AM »
Look at the features and value in the Accuguard. I love my .270 win. I have accuguard in .223 and.243 and they shoot great. I purchased the Accuguard because of the bell and Carlson stick and heavy free floated barrel.

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
My first Weatherby was a Vanguard in .300 Wby.  I've bought two more Vanguards in .308 Win and .223, and I am 100% satisfied with all of them.

NRA Endowment Life Member