Spike Camp

Accuguard or Japanese Mark V?

mcmurder77

Accuguard or Japanese Mark V?
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
Hey there,
Looking to buy my first Weatherby. My budget is right around $900-1k,
I know I can get the accuguard for that, and there seems to be quite a few of the Japanese made Mark V’s, and some of the Mark V synthetics. I’m sure I can’t really go wrong with any of them. Part of me kind of likes the nostalgia of the older rifles with the wood and blued steel, but I love and hunt in western Oregon and know how the elements here can take a beating on those rifles. I also feel that to really get the most accuracy out of one of the wood stock guys I’d have to get it bedded.
Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks!
David

Re: Accuguard or Japanese Mark V?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »
By all the info i've seen the Accuguard seems like a great rifle,then again so to are the older Mark V's. The only caution I would say about buying an older Mark V is know what twist you are getting with the rifle you purchase and decide what bullet weights you want to use. An example would be the 7mm Wea  mag. Some of the older Mark V had a 1/12 twist, which isn't very much good for any high BC bullet over 140 grs. Some of the other calibers in the Mark V line also had slower twists in the older rifles.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

Re: Accuguard or Japanese Mark V?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
I hunted with the wooded stocked Mark V's for many years on the Oregon coast before synthetic stocks and had no problems. The finish is very durable. I think the Japan made guns all had the quicker twist but could be wrong.
John