Spike Camp

Twist rate on .257 barrels

Twist rate on .257 barrels
« on: March 29, 2018, 05:37:36 AM »
Good day Ladies and Gentlemen,
Does anyone have a definite date of when Weatherby changed the twist in the .257 Barrels?  I have been looking but seemed to keep coming up with descrepancies around when this took place.  I have seen dates as early as 62 then more definitive around 64 but some sources saying as late as 72, when the move to Japan happened ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .

Regards,
Gary
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

Re: Twist rate on .257 barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
I don't know the date but I bought a Japan made .257 in 1976 and it was 1 in 10 twist.
John

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 08:27:54 AM »
Thank you Oregonmarkv. I appreciate it sir.
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
If you're trying to figure out the twist in a rifle you own, use a tight fitting patch on a jag and Mark your cleaning rod so you can track distance over a single rotation of the rod.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
Thank you dubyam.  No sir I am looking at a couple of German 257's and I have owned a pre-bolt safety with four digit serial number in the past that was made in 59 or 60 and it had a 1-12 twist.  I could never get that gun to shoot anything but 75gr H.P's and I just don't want another one of those.  I have question the gentlemen about the guns but he didn't know twist on them and i was just curious if I might could figure it out by serial number and year made.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »
No firm date, but I have one withe a SN of 34898 from W. Germany that is a 1 in 12. Bullet length seems to be the issue with the 1 in 12 not necessarily the weight.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 06:27:24 AM »
Brett,
Thank you sir . Do you have any trouble with accuracy? Or are you able to get yours to shoot sir?

Thank you ,
Gary

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:52:50 AM »
Brett,
Thank you sir . Do you have any trouble with accuracy? Or are you able to get yours to shoot sir?

Thank you ,
Gary

I am currently shooting the 80gr TTSX well, it also likes the 100gr Hornaday Spire point.  I have tried the heavier grained bullets from Barnes and talked with Weatherby at one point.  I tried a 120 something (can't exactly remember what it was) grain Barnes at one point that would not stabilize because of the twist rate, they told me it wasnt the weight but the length that is the problem.  Weatherby used to have a round nose cartridge they sold, which was for this very reason.  It gave the 1/12 rifles a heavy bullet option, but I dont think they sell it anymore.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 06:21:00 AM »
It is the 117 grain round nose.It's BC is not good,but it packs a punch.Find a box of Weatherby loads on gunbroker and try them.They are still sold sometimes.They are in the old yellow and black animal picture boxes.Usually you can get them for around 35-40 bucks a box.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.