Spike Camp

Air guns for deer?

Air guns for deer?
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
On the radio this morning, I heard a news story that the state of Texas just approved air guns for large game, including deer and gators. I know very little about air guns (other than the .177 or .22 guns many of us had as kids and some that shoot .22 pellets around 1,200fps) and had no idea there are ones that powerful. I had thought game around 25 pounds or smaller was about it for air guns. I guess you learn something every day. Anybody ever used one for deer sized game?
Here's a short article:
https://www.chron.com/sports/hs/article/Texas-Parks-and-Wildlife-Commission-Approves-12809864.php

UPDATE: Well, people are using them. I searched and found some stuff. Here's a video (pardon the YouTube, it's what came up):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJ86YXkspY
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:59:07 AM by texweatherby »
Come and take it.

badsection

Re: Air guns for deer?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »
Interesting!   :)

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
I'm with Bad........interesting

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
An interesting article on the air guns.https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/ethical-airgun-hunting/
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:39 PM »
Yes I have seen quite a few videos where they use air rifles for hunting big game. There is one Pommy fella that has hunted all over the world for heaps of big game with his Benjamin Marauder air rifle.
I have seen some that go up and over .50 cal and are very powerful.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:23:08 PM »
air rifles for big game I could foresee having potential for felons to legally hunt/shoot.

on the other hand kind of ridiculous this would be the length some would have to go to hunt/own a gun, particularly for 1x non-violent felons like Martha Stewart.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
There is a air gun shop in Abilene.There are a bunch of cars there everytime I've been by.Never been in though.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 06:13:30 PM »
Think l will stick with my weatherby's

badsection

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 06:17:55 PM »

+1

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »

X2
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
Lol on the Weatherbys. I got a survey from Arkansas Game and Fish and one question was do you agree on air guns for deer.Give me an extra season and I would get one.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 08:12:36 PM »
Lol on the Weatherbys. I got a survey from Arkansas Game and Fish and one question was do you agree on air guns for deer.Give me an extra season and I would get one.
+1 Lol
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »
+2 on the special season or if one ever comes out that could throw a .30 bullet out of the barrel at 3000fps. Cleaning them would be a breeze I would think - no powder residue and crud.
Come and take it.

zonie

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 06:10:54 PM »
www.quackenbushairguns.com    Arizona allows pre-charged pneumatics  35 cal and above on Deer and other animals Bear and Mtn Lion,  & other according to AZ 2017-2018 hunting regulations,  although these pre-charged pnuematics are NOT ALLOWED on Bison and Elk & other.    This has been kind of a long time coming I guess.   I haven't seen anybody out out there hunting with one.  I wonder if these would be considered a firearm ?  With respects to Felons who cannot own firearms  but can hunt with a bow & arrow so I've heard somewhere ?   There is more to the story on these Pnuematics  a person would have to read and understand AZ hunting regulations to get a better understanding and more complete picture of animals allowed and not allowed, and there is a difference between (Pre-Charged Pnuematics)  and Pnuematics and weapons allowed for the take of game in our regs.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:52:58 PM by zonie »

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
The American Rifleman had an article years ago on the Lewis and Clark expedition's weapons, and supposedly, they had an air rifle with them.  They were extremely cumbersome back then.  From what I have read, the modern ones are extremely powerful in the larger calibers.  It was always said that any of the pellet gun manufacturers could easily make a .22 caliber pellet rifle as powerful as a .22 Long Rifle, but they do not, for fear of the anti-gunners getting their panties in a wad over them, and then wanting to impose regulations and what not on them as they do regular firearms.  MM