Spike Camp

Pretty sure it's not a Weatherby, but what the heck is it?

Pretty sure it's not a Weatherby, but what the heck is it?
« on: April 06, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
I found this in an old shed I'm tearing down, anyone know what this is?
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

Re: Pretty sure it's not a Weatherby, but what the heck is it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:40 AM »
Another pic.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
It's an old fashioned brick carrier.  Here's a bit more info:

Brick carriers, or brick tongs in the UK, or pince ŕ brique et pavé in Quebec,hold a stack of bricks horizontally by leverage and friction with the weight of the bricks providing the pressure, and they are expandable. One of the best-known older brands is the Fuller Brikarier, originally made in Newhall, Iowa, near Cedar Rapids. Harry E. Fuller (1867-1943) obtained US Patent 1,385,867 on the device. Brick carriers were invented to speed unloading bricks from rail cars and into wagons. Previously, a line of men would pass them from hand to hand. A look at US eBay shows it is easier to buy an antique brick carrier there than it is an antique brick trowel.

A few images are attached, as well.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
Thanks dubyam, I've found some other strange stuff in the shed. Maybe I'll get some more pics on here.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
Here's a large wooden hammer, this thing weighs 10 pounds 4 oz. and has a 31" handle. The head is 5 1/2" diameter. What would this be used for?

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 03:20:51 PM »
And this thing...

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »
Here's a large wooden hammer, this thing weighs 10 pounds 4 oz. and has a 31" handle. The head is 5 1/2" diameter. What would this be used for?
  It's a maul. Used for driving wooden fence posts ?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 05:10:51 PM »
Didn't they use a maul like that for putting the plug in a  whiskey barrel?

I used a brick tong when l was a kid working for a mason in the summers. It wasn't that long ago  ::)
Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
Didn't they use a maul like that for putting the plug in a  whiskey barrel?

I used a brick tong when l was a kid working for a mason in the summers. It wasn't that long ago  ::)
  Yes on the maul! 

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 05:34:30 PM »
I'd bet that sickle shaped wood piece with the hardware is some sort of ag implement connector for a plow or harrow or something, but that's just an educated guess.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 06:03:22 PM »
The maul does look like a old wood post maul we had at home but our handle was much bigger thicker on it.Other looks like one side of a Hames that go on each side of a horse collar for pulling,plowing on our mules.Long time ago and my mind ain't what it used to be though.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »
The maul does look like a old wood post maul we had at home but our handle was much bigger thicker on it.Other looks like one side of a Hames that go on each side of a horse collar for pulling,plowing on our mules.Long time ago and my mind ain't what it used to be though.

Sure looks like a Hame, two of them connect top and bottom around a horse collar and the Tugs connect the hames to the implement or wagon.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
  It's a maul. Used for driving wooden fence posts ?

Could be for a serious game of Whack-A- Mole ;D
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »
Its an old fashion gambrel, deer spreader, should be a pair, used for hanging deer or beef on a farm, also called butcher hooks. No information on how old, just says primitive.     
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »

Sure looks like a Hame, two of them connect top and bottom around a horse collar and the Tugs connect the hames to the implement or wagon.
Big Muddy is right. It is a Hame.