Spike Camp

Pretty sure it's not a Weatherby, but what the heck is it?

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Pretty sure it's not a Weatherby, but what the heck is it?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »
I would like to see someone carry a block of ice with that thing.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »
I remember seeing an ice tong like that in the general store in Rio Medina where we use to hunt years ago. They had all kinds of stuff in there, from old nails to pedal style sewing machines.
DosEquisShooter

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
My sister and brother in law are into the "antique" thing; and he is into antique tools, specifically farming tools.  He acquired a huge thick book somewhere, that has sketches and photographs of all manner of antique tools and such, and information on them as to their dates of use.  Stuff you could not imagine, but were "tools" used in the past.  He has found some really amazing stuff at auctions; tools that were not native to Texas, but somehow made their way down here.  The ingenuity of the people that designed some of these tools, is beyond belief.  Some of which really amazed me were:  A "sod 'brick' plow" that you would hook up behind a mule.  You would set the width on it of how wide of a sod "brick" you wanted.  It had a "chopper" on it that would cut the length of the sod brick, and then as it went rearward, it would flip the sod "brick" over, to be dirt side up.  Another tool was a pedal powered plow sharpener.  You would clamp your plow blade in it, set the dimension on the sharpener, and start to pedal.  It had a small grinder that would follow the shape/curve of the plow and go back and forth.  Then you flipped a lever, and it would do the other edge of the plow blade.  A third contraption he picked up, was a "hog-wire" web fencing maker.  I cannot imagine making a mile of fence with this thing, but perhaps the rancher would use it to make small sections for mending a web fence.  You would set the height of the fence, and the size of the squares on it.  Feed wire from two wire spools, and start cranking the handle.  Web fence would emerge from the end of it.  Totally amazing.  He also has several hundred steel implement seats, about a hundred of which he mounted to a V-shaped display panel on a sixteen foot trailer.  He takes this to various places to show them.  MM

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 11:05:39 PM »
Another good source of information on antique tools, and for that matter, just about anything back in the 1880's thru the 1990's would have been the mail order catalogs of Sears Roebuck & Co. They sold everything from housewares, farm equip. jewelry, toys, sporting goods and firearms. If it wasn't in there, it hadn't been invented.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2018, 07:26:55 AM »
Here's a large wooden hammer, this thing weighs 10 pounds 4 oz. and has a 31" handle. The head is 5 1/2" diameter. What would this be used for?

It's Moe Howard's tune up tool for Curly and Larry.  Actually it should be used on a lot of politicians, judges, and today's youth.   ;D
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
Here's a large wooden hammer, this thing weighs 10 pounds 4 oz. and has a 31" handle. The head is 5 1/2" diameter. What would this be used for?

It's Moe Howard's tune up tool for Curly and Larry.  Actually it should be used on a lot of politicians, judges, and today's youth.   ;D

Chris I was thinking the same thing but most politicians would require a steel hammer with their heads being so hard.
Here's another item, It's a pipe clamp or vice. I've never seen one like it.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
This old B&O railroad box was in there too.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
Pipe vice that was screwed down to a work bench or on the bumper of a plumber's truck.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 07:18:59 AM »

Chris I was thinking the same thing but most politicians would require a steel hammer with their heads being so hard.
Here's another item, It's a pipe clamp or vice. I've never seen one like it.

You're right there but I don't think steel would even work on some of their heads. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.